Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal? -- Followup call from guy who inspected my house

On 7/7/2011 1:54 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:

Yes, that alone has me thinking I have to get some contractors over
here. Next time he calls me (probably in a couple of weeks) I will ask
him for some phone numbers of customers I can call for references. I
have a feeling he won't provide that. However, I think I should call the
utility company and the state, if possible, to ask about the program to
which he says his company is the exclusive access.

A few years ago I got a card in the mail from a local organization
that said it had two programs to provide energy-related repairs and
upgrades to qualified homeowners, and suggested I contact them to
learn all the details. Turned out the programs were gov't funded,
limited to properties that, upon inspection and following an energy
audit, were deemed to be in good condition, yet would benefit from
energy-related improvements. There were additional income/home value
guidelines that had to be met.

Anyhow: the program didn't work with an exclusive contractor. I had to
get three bids, and anyone who wanted the work could bid on it. I
can't imagine a state-funded program getting away with limiting its
work to any particular contractor, because the others would
justifiably cry foul. I think they'd do the same if the local energy
company played favorites, too. So I'd certainly ask the state and
utility about this - and you might ask if there are any (other/legit)
programs that you might qualify for. If this is some sort of scam, you
might still find a program that'll help you out.

In my case, they had two programs available: qualified
homeowners/properties could either get an outright grant of funds for
authorized improvements, or get a no-interest deferred loan that was
fully forgiven after ten years _if_ the homeowner continued to own and
occupy the home for the duration of the loan. If the home was sold
prior to the end of the loan term, you have to pay a pro-rated amount:
90% after one year, 50% after five years, etc. These types of programs
are pretty common across the country, so it can't hurt to call your
city and county and inquire if they have such a program.