Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Means of dropping watch battery voltage by .2 Volts

"D" wrote in message
b.com...
On 7/7/2011 2:13 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:
Both myself and Gareth are from the right side, and it seems to me that
you might have fallen into the usenet 'language trap', and are taking
the word "crap" to have an entirely different level of meaning...
Stop being so sensitive, and accept the remark for what it was. A simple
throw-away bit of leftpondian humour. Not a pop at you specifically, or
your hobby.

Arfa

More what I found troubling and what I was attempting to correct was the
ignorance regarding the significance of these timepieces, and the very
impressive technical achievement they represent, things which users of a
NG such as this one should find interesting. In terms of the "crap"
reference, you may be right about how the word is perceived in different
cultures, but if you and your friend made a bad choice of words, why is it
*ME* (and at least one other poster who also commented on the word) who
have "fallen into the usenet language trap". Perhaps you should stop
being so INsensitive.

Dan

Oh dear. Of course we understand the significance of them and the huge
technical advance that they represented, which is what made Gareth's use of
the word "crap" (with the British accent of meaning), funny. I accept that
this is a very subtle form of humour, and perhaps one that as an American,
you don't understand. And I don't mean that to be taken as an offensive
comment to you in particular, or Americans in general. I watch a lot of
American TV, and visit America regularly, and have done for many years, so
understand at least a little about your variety of humour. I'm sure that you
would have to agree that it is predominantly straightforward and obvious -
sort of 'verbal slapstick' if you like. Sometimes that works for British
audiences, and sometimes it doesn't, because we don't understand what the
'joke' is. By the same token, British humour is often very subtle, and can
hinge even on the way a single word is pronounced, or contextually used. I'm
sure that sometimes this works for Americans, and sometimes it doesn't,
exactly the same as with us and your humour. In this particular exchange,
Gareth's attempt at humour hasn't worked for you, or William or Jeff, so as
you are all Americans, this has to tell us that it's a variety of humour
that you have difficulty with, which is fair enough, and why Gareth
immediately apologised. And there it should have lain, except that William
won't let it go.

You also misunderstand the use of my phrase "the usenet language trap". We
all fall into it from both sides of the pond. Occasionally, some little
incident like this one. 'takes off' in this way, but mostly, regular posters
on here know the problem well, and if anyone does bother to make a comment,
it usually dies out within a post or two. As I have not seen you posting on
here before - and I may be wrong on that, or you might be a long-time
lurker - I assumed that you were new to a group that has many regulars on
both sides of the pond, and had not come across these linguistic nuances
before, and that was the reason that you had become so upset by what most
would have seen as a throw-away comment.

Every now and then, William jumps on something like this, and worries it
like a dog with a bone, as he is doing right now.

As to asking me to stop being insensitive, I really think that you should
stop and consider that remark, and perhaps think how you might feel about me
telling you to stop being *so* sensitive. This is usenet. We are all
grownups, and sometimes, grownups have spats. It's life. There is no
moderation as such on here, and it is not a forum or Google group or a
subset of any other net-based front end trawler. If you honestly think that
I am being insensitive, then just carry on posting. Sooner or later, for no
apparent reason, you will set light to one of the people on here that can be
really offensive. Then you will understand all about sensitivity ...

I say again, that what was intended was humour. Nothing against you, or your
watches, or the Bulova technology. Gareth has already apologised for his
remark, and I likewise apologise if you found my similar attempt at humour,
outside your understanding, and hence offensive. Now can we please leave it
at that ? And that especially includes you, William.

Arfa