Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Refrigerator Backup

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:29:08 -0400, wrote:

Hello,
I have a desire to backup my refrigerator during power outages. Let's
say I buy a generator with sufficient power to do so. A whole house
transfer switch is not appropriate because the small generator is
nowhere near big enough to handle the whole house. The cord on the
refrigerator is very hard to get to because the refrigerator is built
in. If I were to run the 12-2 line that currently runs from the
outlet to the breaker box into a new box containing a SPDT switch and
wire it to connect the hot wire from the outlet to either the original
breaker or a heavy duty extension cord plugged into the generator,
would that meet code? (By code, I mean NEC, not local variations. I
don't want to ask a local inspector if the answer is going to be "no
way".)

If the above is not acceptable, how about cutting the line running to
the refrigerator outlet and then installing an outlet near the breaker
box and a plug to connect them back together? During a power outage,
I would remove the plug from the outlet and plug it into the extension
cord coming from the generator. Would having a plug and outlet in the
line violate code?

Here's a crude attempt at an ascii drawing (please view with a fixed
width font): == is 12-2 w gnd normal house wiring. -- is the
refrigerator cord plugged into the outlet behind the refrigerator.

Today:
Breaker-Box======================outletPlug-----Refrigerator

Idea #1:
Breaker-Box====SPDT-Switch=======outletPlug-----Refrigerator
Generator

Idea #2:
Breaker-Box===new-outletnew-plug====outletPlug-----Refrigerator

TIA for any advice,
Pat

Putting a plug on the fridge is the best way.
I just went through 2 power outages a week ago due to storms.
One 71 hours, the other 12 hours.
Not common around here.
Last outage was maybe 10 years ago, for a few hours.
We had to toss out what we had in the fridge with the 71 hour outage.
Maybe $50 worth of food max. Beer was still good.
If we had any steak or shrimp in there we would have cooked it on the
Weber and ate good.
The 12 hour outage didn't even start to melt the ice cubes.
Anyway, I've given this some thought.
This is just my opinion, and the methods I examined for powering
during an outage.
I don't want a generator for infrequent outages.
Cost/benefit doesn't work.
If I had a boat or job site where I would use it that would be
different. But not for a fridge.
For running a fridge you can get an inverter to hook to your car.
Some inverters will power most of your house systems from your car.
My cars have alternators with about 105 amps, which is pretty typical.
Just running your car every few hours to cycle the fridge will keep
your food healthy.
You can charge your rechargeables at the same time.
If you need gas, drive to the gas station.
No extra tanks, no generator maintenance and noise.
A good 2000 watt inverter is about $300. Xantrex is one.
For a fridge that's overkill. You can do it all cheaper to run a
fridge.
Small package, about 15 pounds, and you can keep it on a shelf.
Then to do it right you want a permanent fused wiring setup on the
car, where you can plug it in. About $50 bucks in parts.
Then a HD extension cord, which you might already have.
You can google all this and price it out.
That's what I did.
My decision was no generator and no inverter.
Almost went for a battery TV, but decided my radios were good enough.
Had flashlights, candles, and a couple battery radios.
Only thing I'd do different is if I knew that first outage was going
to be 71 hours, I'd have gone to a hotel/motel with my wife and just
come home a couple times a day to tend to the dogs until the power was
back. That would cost far less than a generator or inverter and be
more fun. Except all the traffic lights were out, so I'm not sure
about how much fun it would be.
Luckily the temps were nice when the power was out.
This is just me, so I'm not saying others see it different.
If I was in a hot place I'd want to power some A/C for sleeping.
Or drive to where there was power and sleep there.
A lot depends on how often you lose power.
It's worth giving it some thought before you buy stuff you won't use
much.

--Vic