Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] greenpjs@neo.rr.com is offline

Default Refrigerator Backup

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 08:43:15 -0700 (PDT), Gz wrote:

On Jul 7, 11:29*am, wrote:
Hello,
I have a desire to backup my refrigerator during power outages. Let's
say I buy a generator with sufficient power to do so. *A whole house
transfer switch is not appropriate because the small generator is
nowhere near big enough to handle the whole house. *The cord on the
refrigerator is very hard to get to because the refrigerator is built
in. *If I were to run the 12-2 line that currently runs from the
outlet to the breaker box into a new box containing a SPDT switch and
wire it to connect the hot wire from the outlet to either the original
breaker or a heavy duty extension cord plugged into the generator,
would that meet code? *(By code, I mean NEC, not local variations. *I
don't want to ask a local inspector if the answer is going to be "no
way".)

If the above is not acceptable, how about cutting the line running to
the refrigerator outlet and then installing an outlet near the breaker
box and a plug to connect them back together? *During a power outage,
I would remove the plug from the outlet and plug it into the extension
cord coming from the generator. *Would having a plug and outlet in the
line violate code?

Here's a crude attempt at an ascii drawing (please view with a fixed
width font): *== is 12-2 w gnd normal house wiring. *-- is the
refrigerator cord plugged into the outlet behind the refrigerator. *

Today:
Breaker-Box======================outletPlug-----Refrigerator

Idea #1:
Breaker-Box====SPDT-Switch=======outletPlug-----Refrigerator
* * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * * * * * * *||
* * * * * * * *Generator

Idea #2:
Breaker-Box===new-outletnew-plug====outletPlug-----Refrigerator * *

TIA for any advice,
Pat

Using plugs gets around code. I'm thinking using original breaker to
outlet. Another outlet to generator. Plug from original line to
fridge. These outlets would be near outside the box or another
location. No switches involved.

Greg

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the input. To be clear, you are saying it is OK for a line
that plugs into an outlet to run into hidden spaces and power a normal
outlet somewhere else in the house. Right?

Pat