Glen Duff

Default WOODCRAFT SALE

Bob,

I agree with you there are some very good way to cut costs and I have
been using 4" heating duct and fittings and they have all worked very
well. On one of my runs I have a 12' length of strengthened pipe (I
forget the name) with a band twisted around it and it was about 4 x the
cost of regular piping. Although I have had no problem with the regular
pipe I would probably use the former if I were to do it again.
Acturally the increased cost isn't prohibitive.

Also, one of the best pieces of advice I received was to ignore the
jointer and just put a bucket or box under it to collect the chips. I'm
sure many will disagree but almost all of the "sawdust" from a jointer
is not the fine stuff that is bad for the lungs. I am well aware that
breathing fine sawdust is not healthy, I think there is a compromise
where we accept that there will be sawdust around any shop, at least if
its being used for woodworking.

Cheers,

Glen Duff
============

Bob Davis wrote:

Jerry,

I really cannot offer intelligent comment on your situation, but I can
possibly pass on some of my own experience regarding piping. I operate in a
3 car garage type space. I went from nothing to a 2 HP collector with a
couple of flex hoses. I'm getting a lot less dust and I'm not where I think
I can be. I just two days ago put together a jury rig for collection of
dust off the table saw top and it worked really, really well. I think I'm
going to stick with it. So now I can focus my time on getting rid of my
flex hoses across the floor.

I've read and re-read and researched options for the piping for a dust
collection network. Part of my frustration was reading about good stuff but
not being able to find it locally or on the internet. There was this rumor
that S&D (Sewer and Drain) PVC piping was very cost effective, but I could
not find any fittings for it. I was almost resigned to buying the pipe, some
flex hose, and "official dust collection" fittings from my dealer. Then I
discovered the fittings at my Local Lowe's. I swear they just started
carrying this stuff. I've walked those aisles so many times, I can tell you
the cracks in the concrete.

Anyway, here's the prices I paid for pipe and fittings

10 foot x 4" diameter pipe $4.97
4" Long radius 90 degree ell $1.60
4" "Y" fitting $2.67
4" 45 degree ell $1.16
4" pipe hanger $0.90 (I'm using one every 4 feet of pipe).

The most expensive part is putting a short piece of 4" flex hose at each
connection. To adapt the S&D pipe to the flex hose, I'm using a standard 4"
PVC dust collection splicer. Three wraps of duct tape on the end and it fits
snugly inside the S&D pipe. The splicer costs $4.95 each. The hose is about
$2.00/foot.

Bob

"Jerry Gilreath" wrote in message

Ok, now that we're on this subject, I've got a question or ten. I've got a
REALLY small shop built onto the garage, 10' X 26' X 7.5' to be exact.

Right

now I've got the 2" plastic pipe ran around the walls with flex hose and
blast gates to the equipment. I have a shopvac attached to it that is
sitting in the garage. I can't hear it, see it, or smell it. I have my
bigger stuff, jointer, and planer, on the side of the garage LOML don't

park

her Explorer in, with a Ridgid DC hooked to them.That part works fine,

what

I'm wondering is, would I be better off putting a DC in the place of the
shopvac or if I did that, would I need to run 4" pipe in the shop also?

All

the stuff I have in the shop has 2" fittings on them, with the exception

of

the router and sanders. They're duct taped and retro fitted!!! Thanks!!!!

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Put it outside and don't worry about the bag quality.
Wilson
"WARRENRN1" wrote in message

went to woodcraft over valentine's day weekend.....ok, it was a side

trip

after

we went to some needlepoint shop for my wife..... and was looking at

dust

collectors. looked at the jet and the delta. am leaning towards the

delta...

the smaller 2 bag unit going for $159. i was told by one of the

sales

guys

that delta is having a 10% off sale on all their power tools (dust

collectors

included) this thursday... feb 19.
i have seen an ad for the harbor freight collector on sale for $149.

both

have

30 micron upper bags.
asking for opinions about how each work...compared to one another. i

am

not

going to set a collections system thruout the shop, but rather attach

it

to the

machine i am working with at the time.
any help in determining would be appreciative. BTW.. the sale is

only

for feb

19. and if woodcraft is out of stock or on vback order, they will

honor

the

price change.
so says the sales guy at woodcraft.