Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default 2 knob or 3? wiring?

On 7/5/2011 10:38 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 5, 4:33 pm, wrote:
On 7/4/2011 2:37 PM, bob haller wrote:

How old are you? Have you watched Soylent Green?

K&T is still in the NEC.

I would give a definitive answer, but my Ouija board broke just last
week. When my board is down I listen to RBM.

--
bud--

Bud your [sic] whipping a dead horse.

I am just interested in accurate information, not fetishes.

but I pride myself in giving the best advice here I can. and stand by
replace K&T at every opportunity.

Yes, best advice like your link to a report from the "Pennsylvania
Department of Community and Economic Development" that says "properly
installed and unaltered K&T wiring is not an inherent fire hazard". They
do not "replace K&T at every opportunity". And they insulate over K&T.
In Pennsylvania!!!! From YOUR link.

Hey - isn't that where you live? If I was you I would move somewhere else.

And best advice like your link that says "the wires in knob-and-tube are
aluminum" which is a problem because copper and aluminum "carry current
at slightly different speeds" and "copper into aluminum is where things
get tricky - if the water (current) flows faster thru copper than thru
aluminum, you are going to get a backup at that junction."

And your link that says "no ground wire, [makes] the use of GFCI style
electrical outlets (receptacles) and GFCI and AFCI breakers useless".

I am more interested in reliable sources, like Mike Holt's site. It has
real electricians, and they view K&T as something that you work with.

Electricians here don't share your fetish either.

Perhaps you could be "deprogramed".

--
bud--