Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I bought a used Cameron mini drill press today

On 2011-07-04, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

It looks more like a hobby mill. It is buit on an X-Y table with
T-slots It says Emco on the belt guard. I tried to take some photos,
but my camrea refused to work, even with new batteries.

O.K. Is it possible that the previous batteries leaked and
corroded the terminals in the camera?

No, the batteris have enver leaked. I got the camera new and make
suure not to leave batteries in something too long. The last time I used
it, I only got four shots on a new set of batteries. The camera never
was right. It's a Fuji Finepix S5200, and it doesn't store about half
the shots on the memory card. I spent half a day shooting over 100
shots of old equipment one day and less than 40 were on the 1 GB card.

O.K. Did you try another card in it? Sometimes they get
flakey, too.

As for the device which is resisting being photographed -- you
say Emco (not Enco?) In that case, based on what description you gave,
I think that I know what it is.

Let me describe it (from memory) and you check against that:

[ ... ]

The speeds really don't get slow enough for my taste.

But -- it still does useful things.

That sounds like it. The belt cover is black plastic, and has a
yellow lable marked, "Safety Alert"

O.K. Mine does not have that label, but it could be from a
different period.

FWIW The same column and head fit a different bracket which bolts
on the back of the Emco-Maier Compact-5 lathe (including my
Compact-5/CNC, which would make it sort of a CNC milling
machine.

The hole pattern is just enough different so I can't try mine
like that without making a new adaptor.

[ ... ]

Yes -- the parts from Cameron will likely cost more than you
paid for the machine, but be well worth it.

I looked at the Emco today, and the lever is missing on it, too.

O.K. It is an angled lever (again ball ended, so get one more
balls when rebuilding the Cameron) which goes through a shaft which has
a long gear on it. Part of the gear engages the rack gear in the quill,
and another part (other side of a clamp which keeps it from sliding out)
engages the fine feed adaptor (which I think was an option), but it was
on mine (also used) when I got it.

If they turn out to be too expensive, I could pull mine apart
and measure it. Do you have a lathe large enough to make the hub?
I suspect the dimensions will all be inch, FWIW. You won't be able to
duplicate the appearance of the original, but you should be able to
duplicate the functionality. You'll need to be able to chuck up
something which is perhaps 3" diameter to start with, I think.

I still don't have a lathe. The last one looked at was almost 20
feet long and would have filled an entire bay in my garage. The lathe
had been stored outdoors, and was rusty.

Not worth the trouble. Probably you want something between a 7"
and a 12" lathe, unless you have larger projects in mind.

The ways were badly worn, and
it would have used too much current for the crappy power distribution
where I live. It was built in '64, and never updated, so a fuse in the
primaries blows quite often The regulation is already crap, and I'm sure
my neigbors would have hissy fits if I kept knocking out their power
during their soap operas.

Do they *have* to know that it was you? :-)

I may be able to make something out of a piece of pipe and some 3/8"
drill rod, along with a pin to hold it to the shank.

Remember that the shank was never held that way originally, and
that would be likely to damage it.

The hub simply slips onto the shank, and the special handle
slips in through an angled hole in the hub into a matching angled hole
in the shank, and then a screw threads into a tapped hole in the end of
the shank to rest against the turned down section of the special handle.
Then the other two just screw into their sockets on the hub.

Download the "setup_and_use_manual.pdf" from the web site you
pointed to. On the first (of two pages) left hand column, read
"Installing Spoked Feed Wheel".

I see that the "two speed motor" is an option, so you may or may
not have that.

I'm going to email
Cameron about the price, and also to the people I bought the tools from.
They may still have them. It looked like they had moved, and had never
set their tools back up.

I hope that you find the missing parts. Including the parts
missing from the little Emco Mill ("C5 mill" is the model -- to match
with the "Compact-5" lathe.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564