Bob Davis

Default WOODCRAFT SALE

Jerry,

I really cannot offer intelligent comment on your situation, but I can
possibly pass on some of my own experience regarding piping. I operate in a
3 car garage type space. I went from nothing to a 2 HP collector with a
couple of flex hoses. I'm getting a lot less dust and I'm not where I think
I can be. I just two days ago put together a jury rig for collection of
dust off the table saw top and it worked really, really well. I think I'm
going to stick with it. So now I can focus my time on getting rid of my
flex hoses across the floor.

I've read and re-read and researched options for the piping for a dust
collection network. Part of my frustration was reading about good stuff but
not being able to find it locally or on the internet. There was this rumor
that S&D (Sewer and Drain) PVC piping was very cost effective, but I could
not find any fittings for it. I was almost resigned to buying the pipe, some
flex hose, and "official dust collection" fittings from my dealer. Then I
discovered the fittings at my Local Lowe's. I swear they just started
carrying this stuff. I've walked those aisles so many times, I can tell you
the cracks in the concrete.

Anyway, here's the prices I paid for pipe and fittings

10 foot x 4" diameter pipe $4.97
4" Long radius 90 degree ell $1.60
4" "Y" fitting $2.67
4" 45 degree ell $1.16
4" pipe hanger $0.90 (I'm using one every 4 feet of pipe).

The most expensive part is putting a short piece of 4" flex hose at each
connection. To adapt the S&D pipe to the flex hose, I'm using a standard 4"
PVC dust collection splicer. Three wraps of duct tape on the end and it fits
snugly inside the S&D pipe. The splicer costs $4.95 each. The hose is about
$2.00/foot.

Bob

"Jerry Gilreath" wrote in message
Ok, now that we're on this subject, I've got a question or ten. I've got a
REALLY small shop built onto the garage, 10' X 26' X 7.5' to be exact.

Right
now I've got the 2" plastic pipe ran around the walls with flex hose and
blast gates to the equipment. I have a shopvac attached to it that is
sitting in the garage. I can't hear it, see it, or smell it. I have my
bigger stuff, jointer, and planer, on the side of the garage LOML don't

park
her Explorer in, with a Ridgid DC hooked to them.That part works fine,

what
I'm wondering is, would I be better off putting a DC in the place of the
shopvac or if I did that, would I need to run 4" pipe in the shop also?

All
the stuff I have in the shop has 2" fittings on them, with the exception

of
the router and sanders. They're duct taped and retro fitted!!! Thanks!!!!

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
ink.net...
Put it outside and don't worry about the bag quality.
Wilson
"WARRENRN1" wrote in message
went to woodcraft over valentine's day weekend.....ok, it was a side

trip
after
we went to some needlepoint shop for my wife..... and was looking at

dust
collectors. looked at the jet and the delta. am leaning towards the

delta...
the smaller 2 bag unit going for $159. i was told by one of the

sales
guys
that delta is having a 10% off sale on all their power tools (dust

collectors
included) this thursday... feb 19.
i have seen an ad for the harbor freight collector on sale for $149.

both
have
30 micron upper bags.
asking for opinions about how each work...compared to one another. i

am
not
going to set a collections system thruout the shop, but rather attach

it
to the
machine i am working with at the time.
any help in determining would be appreciative. BTW.. the sale is

only
for feb
19. and if woodcraft is out of stock or on vback order, they will

honor
the
price change.
so says the sales guy at woodcraft.