Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Dan Musicant Dan Musicant is offline

Default New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal?

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 09:22:06 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

an Musicant wrote:
: If I have just one heater it will cost me around $7500, with 2 it
: will be $13,290 after 2 rebates from my utility company, PGE
: (evidently about $150 each), a "voucher amount" of $4000, federal tax
: credit of $400.
:
:Sounds like an awful lot of money. Get an estimate from a contractor you call
:and see how it compares before you even consider this. Plus, check with your
:state contractors licensing agency about the contractor's reputation, and google
:their name plus the word complaints,or scam, or crime. When you contact the
:state, make sure you have their state contractor's license #.

I did Google searches as suggested and found nothing negative. In fact
the BBB indicates they are "accredited" and that there are zero
complaints against them in the last 12 months. Doesn't mean their "bid"
isn't high, but my sense that they are legit seems correct. Well, that
they probably do good work.

Still, I'm sure going to get other bids. Also, when this guy calls back
I'm going to ask him to fill in the blanks, stuff like who pays to
repair the holes they make in the walls to get stuff in and out, what
are the exact terms of the financing, who pays for permits, zone
heating...

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net