Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Base cabinet for front-load washer?

RimaNeas wrote:
I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a
front loading washer. Given the condition of my back, I am thinking
about putting it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up
around 14-16 inches. I can easily make the base to match my other
cabinets.
Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be
in order and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am
thinking of a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience
would be appreciated.

Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws, glue, and
metal bracing.

2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.