Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Base cabinet for front-load washer?

I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16 inches. I
can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2011 7:09 PM, RimaNeas wrote:
eed any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shawn

This is just my opinion but it seems that it would have to be quite
solid and fasten to the wall. Have you ever seen a washer walking
across the floor when things get out of balance?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 7:09*pm, "RimaNeas" wrote:
I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16 inches. *I
can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? *I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. *I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... *Any info/experience would be appreciated.

A number of the front load washer manufacturers make pedestals for
just such a situation, and you should investigate that route before
committing time and money into building one. They're not cheap, but
if you keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist you could probably scoop one
up for a reasonable amount. A drawer in the store-bought pedestal
base is a major benefit, and the pedestals usually bolt to the
underside of the machine so there's little danger of the thing walking
off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RimaNeas" wrote in message
I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
putting it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16
inches. I can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking
of a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be
appreciated.

Cheers, Shawn

They do walk sometimes and a 1" lip would be good
tiled top would not be any good as if the machined decided to take a trip
somewhere, the movement would crack the tiles.
I built one out of 14 ply 12" high and cut the corners out of the top piece
for more stability for the feet of the machine.
You could go over the top and put a drawer in it for the washing liquid etc.
I only went 12" high because of the dryer on top of the washer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I recently built one. 2x4 construction for the frame screwed to the
wall, with oak plywood on the sides and OSB for the platform painted
the same color as the walls. The oak matches the trim in the house
and was left over from another project. Total cost less than $20 and
looks a whole laot better than the $250 for the store bought ones. I
got the washer up by tilting it side to side while my wife put a 2x4
under the high side. Tepeat ten times. I put a lip on top but the LG
washer has dynamic balancing and does not move

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:09:20 -0800, "RimaNeas"
wrote:

I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16 inches. I
can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shawn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 15:09:20 -0800, "RimaNeas" wrote:

I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16 inches. I
can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be appreciated.

I'd think the vibrations of the washer's spin cycle would be pretty tough on
glue joints, not to mention the problems with exposure to water.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 7:20*pm, Ray wrote:

I recently built one. *2x4 construction for the frame screwed to the
wall, with oak plywood on the sides and OSB for the platform painted
the same color as the walls. *The oak matches the trim in the house
and was left over from another project. *Total cost less than $20 and
looks a whole laot better than the $250 for the store bought ones. *I
got the washer up by tilting it side to side while my wife put a 2x4
under the high side. *Tepeat ten times. *I put a lip on top but the LG
washer has dynamic balancing and does not move

$250? Maybe if you're paying full MSRP. Check the completed auctions
on eBay. You can get one for well less than half that if you are
patient. Factor in time, the fact that you have to take the machine
off of your platform to service it, whereas the bolted on pedestal
moves with the machine, the painted steel pedestal is less susceptible
to water damage, etc. I would think that the pedestal designed by the
manufacturer to go with the washer would match the machine perfectly,
so I'm not sure how a homemade one could look better. Not trying to
rain on your parade, just offering the OP different opinions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RimaNeas" wrote in message ...

I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a front
it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up around 14-16 inches. I
can easily make the base to match my other cabinets.

Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be in order
and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am thinking of
a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shawn

-----------------------

Save your money and time, each wash. Get an old fashioned top load and have
some actual storage cabinets above it on the wall.

With a top-load washer your clothes will actually get clean in less than
four hours of waiting without detergent residue to irritate your skin. If
you want to save water get a suds saver machine. The fad is fading, from
poor user experience, just as it did back in the 50s and 60sm before, due
too many problems that haven`t been fixed yet. It`s all hype no matter what
the sales con-artists are telling the wallets. I have experienced a few very
expensive machines.

Flame away

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote in
:

A number of the front load washer manufacturers make pedestals for
just such a situation, and you should investigate that route before
committing time and money into building one. They're not cheap, but
if you keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist you could probably scoop one
up for a reasonable amount. A drawer in the store-bought pedestal
base is a major benefit, and the pedestals usually bolt to the
underside of the machine so there's little danger of the thing walking
off.

A word of caution: Not all pedestals can be mounted to all machines
easily. They intentionally change mounting patterns and the like to keep
this from happening.

We mounted one on the dryer with a help of a couple of drills and sheet
metal screws. It just took a little work.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws, glue, and
metal bracing.

2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.

Oh too funny... I had not even thought about the weight of water!! Lets
see, a 4 cf washer can hold .11 cubic meter of water which comes in at
another 220Lb... and if the dryer is full of wet heavy clothes. Yep, that's
heavy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers, Shawn

PS: I will also look up "Marine Fiddles"... thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

Save your money and time, each wash. Get an old fashioned top load
and have some actual storage cabinets above it on the wall.

With a top-load washer your clothes will actually get clean in less
than four hours of waiting without detergent residue to irritate your
skin. If you want to save water get a suds saver machine. The fad is
fading, from poor user experience, just as it did back in the 50s and
60sm before, due too many problems that haven`t been fixed yet. It`s
all hype no matter what the sales con-artists are telling the
wallets. I have experienced a few very expensive machines.

Flame away

Not me - I'm not going to flame your comments. We bought a front loader a
few years ago, and if I had to do it again, I'd have a top loader there now.
Front loaders require HE detergents or the tub bearings get eaten alive,
they really do not clean as well as top loaders. But - it's down there in
the laundry room now, and it'll stay there until the time comes when it's
going to cost me money.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/2011 8:01 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Not me - I'm not going to flame your comments. We bought a front loader a
few years ago, and if I had to do it again, I'd have a top loader there now.
Front loaders require HE detergents or the tub bearings get eaten alive,
they really do not clean as well as top loaders. But - it's down there in
the laundry room now, and it'll stay there until the time comes when it's
going to cost me money.

Ditto ... last time we bought, about nine years ago, I let LOML make
that decision since she is the one who is doing the washing and she went
for the front loader.

Big mistake. Next time, and it shouldn't be long, it will a top loader,
or it's back to a wash tub and wringer for her.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Not to worry. Front loaders do NOT WALK. Hell, they hardly move at all
- the forces are entirely different.

Having said that, think of how a wood floor system is built - maybe 2
x 8 with a three-quarter inch sub-floor and tiled over and build that
and trim out to match your cabinets. Don't over think it, Yes the
washers are HEAVY, but the kid from our local Sears actually lifted it
out to the truck for us! Boy, is he going to have back issues later on
in life!

Get the pair - take your time - look for closeouts. We got the RED one
for $39 (washer) and saw the Dryer go or $199! (Originally $1,100
each!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/4/2011 8:01 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Not me - I'm not going to flame your comments. We bought a front
loader a few years ago, and if I had to do it again, I'd have a top
loader there now. Front loaders require HE detergents or the tub
bearings get eaten alive, they really do not clean as well as top
loaders. But - it's down there in the laundry room now, and it'll
stay there until the time comes when it's going to cost me money.

Ditto ... last time we bought, about nine years ago, I let LOML make
that decision since she is the one who is doing the washing and she
went for the front loader.

Big mistake. Next time, and it shouldn't be long, it will a top
loader, or it's back to a wash tub and wringer for her.

We've had a Kenmore #43142 front loader for 7 1/2 years now. It doesn't
seem to be very highly rated, but we are totally satisfied with it. Having
it on some kind of stand would be nice, though. Of course, it's just the 2
of us, most of the time, although when the family from Somerville, MA
visits, there are 4 more (happy!!!) ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 3, 7:55*pm, "m II" wrote:
"RimaNeas" *wrote in ...

[...]

Not flaming but we have had front-loaders for about a year now and
love them. We have \had them long enough to be sure our water and gas
consumption are down. Wash quality is great. Granted, a year isn't a
valid test of durability. But our daughter's family of seven, who has
been using the Sears front loaders for six years without problem is.

Addressing the OP - We considered building the base for ours before we
started serious shopping. I was concerned about the wear and tear of
spinning. As it turned out, we made a sale deal that was cheap enough
it wasn't worth the time or money to build it.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/2011 9:04 AM, Han wrote:

We've had a Kenmore #43142 front loader for 7 1/2 years now. It doesn't
seem to be very highly rated, but we are totally satisfied with it. Having
it on some kind of stand would be nice, though. Of course, it's just the 2
of us, most of the time, although when the family from Somerville, MA
visits, there are 4 more (happy!!!) ...

Youngest daughter, now again at home, came back from five years of
college in 2010 and I swear she's still washing stuff from her freshman
year.

I keep hoping she'll wear the front loader out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 10:48*am, RonB wrote:

Not flaming but we have had front-loaders for about a year now and
love them. *We have \had them long enough to be sure our water and gas
consumption are down. *Wash quality is great. *Granted, a year isn't a
valid test of durability. *But our daughter's family of seven, who has
been using the Sears front loaders for six years without problem is.

Ditto on the front loader. Works fine, quiet enough, cleans well and
four or five years in. The only thing I find irksome is the beeping
when the load is done doesn't automatically shut off.

Addressing the OP - We considered building the base for ours before we
started serious shopping. *I was concerned about the wear and tear of
spinning. *As it turned out, we made a sale deal that was cheap enough
it wasn't worth the time or money to build it.

Another ditto. I used to build everything for every thing, and now I
pick my battles. A washer stand is not high up on the axis of evil
list, so store bought (on sale) it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/4/2011 9:04 AM, Han wrote:

We've had a Kenmore #43142 front loader for 7 1/2 years now. It
doesn't seem to be very highly rated, but we are totally satisfied
with it. Having it on some kind of stand would be nice, though. Of
course, it's just the 2 of us, most of the time, although when the
family from Somerville, MA visits, there are 4 more (happy!!!) ...

Youngest daughter, now again at home, came back from five years of
college in 2010 and I swear she's still washing stuff from her
freshman year.

I keep hoping she'll wear the front loader out.

I much prefer the stable, fast washing, well centrifuging front loader over
the waltzing matilda (no offense, Oz-dwellers) that was worse in all
respects.

Youngest is on his way back for a week of work up "North" while DIL and 2
sprouts (almost 5, and 6 months) stay with us. That'll mean more work for
the Kenmore, but so what.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 08:56:53 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

I'd think the vibrations of the washer's spin cycle would be pretty
tough on glue joints, not to mention the problems with exposure to
water.

Exposure to water???? Ain't supposed to be no exposure to water in your
laundry room.

I suppose there has to be *one* person who's never had a leak or spilled water
in a laundry room.

Today's front loaders don't quake, shake and creep like the the top loaders
used to. Different dynamics.

They still vibrate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 09:01:12 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

m II wrote:

Save your money and time, each wash. Get an old fashioned top load
and have some actual storage cabinets above it on the wall.

With a top-load washer your clothes will actually get clean in less
than four hours of waiting without detergent residue to irritate your
skin. If you want to save water get a suds saver machine. The fad is
fading, from poor user experience, just as it did back in the 50s and
60sm before, due too many problems that haven`t been fixed yet. It`s
all hype no matter what the sales con-artists are telling the
wallets. I have experienced a few very expensive machines.

Flame away

Not me - I'm not going to flame your comments. We bought a front loader a
few years ago, and if I had to do it again, I'd have a top loader there now.

That's what I thought when we bought the Whirlpool Cabrio (agitatorless
top-loader). After 3-4 years, its transmission is just about shot (sounds
like jet-powered cement mixer). Evidently it's a *very* common failure and
costs upwards of $700 to fix. It seems all washers are crap anymore.

Front loaders require HE detergents or the tub bearings get eaten alive,
they really do not clean as well as top loaders.

Nothing wrong with HE detergents but the tub bearings are a problem with
front-loaders, in any case. That's why I went with the Cabrio. Good plan;
lousy implementation.

But - it's down there in
the laundry room now, and it'll stay there until the time comes when it's
going to cost me money.

Best idea of all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RimaNeas wrote:
I will be remodeling my laundry room shortly and will be getting a
front loading washer. Given the condition of my back, I am thinking
about putting it (and the dryer) on a base cabinet to raise it up
around 14-16 inches. I can easily make the base to match my other
cabinets.
Do I need any special design considerations for the base or its top? I
imagine the appliances would want to walk some, so a lip would be
in order and the dang things are heavy, but I normally build beefy. I am
thinking of a tiled top for the cabinet... Any info/experience
would be appreciated.

Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws, glue, and
metal bracing.

2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240
pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

Absolutely... I just took 10% of 1 metric ton instead of the 11%.... then
again the washer can only take 3.7 cuft so it all works out. Not much of a
defense actually, since I had not even thought of the water weight
originally :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 09:48:52 -0500, Swingman wrote:
I keep hoping she'll wear the front loader out.

Have a look at "Broken Appliances" under consumer alert, (after the 10
second obligatory advert)
http://toronto.ctv.ca/consumer/#TopVideoAn

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

RimaNeas wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws,
glue, and metal bracing.

2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.

Oh too funny... I had not even thought about the weight of water!! Lets
see, a 4 cf washer can hold .11 cubic meter of water which comes
in at another 220Lb... and if the dryer is full of wet heavy clothes.
Yep, that's heavy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240
pounds

----------------------

Only in the USA

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws, glue,
and metal bracing.

Nah. First off, a FL is NEVER "full of water." No where near it. (One
of the selling points is that they use water sparingly).

The pull out drawer idea is a good one. When pulling clothes out of
the washer, you may drop something - usually whites - and an open
drawer to catch same . . . well, it's a good thing. I got a
commercial base at Lowes for $25 (scratch and dent/closeout something
like that) and stuck it under the old dryer (doesn't fit right, but)
and it's work for a couple years now.

But I will build my own elevated double base when I move the units to
their new location. Try a Torsion Box approach to the top of the new
base. I'll bet one made of crossed half-lapped two by twos sandwiched
between half-inch plywood on top and quarter-inch in the bottom would
be more than sufficient for the 60-inch wide drawer approach. Use two
by twelves along the rear and on each end and Elmer's or similar wood
glue to bind all the members if the torsion top.

I've made similar torsion box "shelves" to hold large TV's using luan
5mm plywood and three quarter-inch white pine ribbs and it works
marvelously - very strong, stable and light weight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/11 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
RimaNeas wrote:
wrote in message
Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws,
glue, and metal bracing.

2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.

Oh too funny... I had not even thought about the weight of water!! Lets
see, a 4 cf washer can hold .11 cubic meter of water which comes
in at another 220Lb... and if the dryer is full of wet heavy clothes.
Yep, that's heavy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240
pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

How's that any different from having a couple people standing close to
one another?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 5, 12:11 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/5/11 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
RimaNeas wrote:
wrote in message
Sounds like a plan. I have two suggestions:

1. Overbuild. A washer full of water is VERY heavy. Use screws,
glue, and metal bracing.

2. Plan on a pull-out drawer in the base to store stuff.

Oh too funny... I had not even thought about the weight of water!! Lets
see, a 4 cf washer can hold .11 cubic meter of water which comes
in at another 220Lb... and if the dryer is full of wet heavy clothes.
Yep, that's heavy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240
pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

How's that any different from having a couple people standing close to
one another?

....while rhythmically bouncing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 4, 6:10*pm, "RimaNeas" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon = 240
pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

Absolutely... *I just took 10% of 1 metric ton instead of the 11%.... then
again the washer can only take 3.7 cuft so it all works out. *Not much of a
defense actually, since I had not even thought of the water weight
originally :-)

Ummm...the 3.7 CF is the overall volume of clothes, not the volume of
water. Read the specs on your machine - it'll tell you how much water
it uses per wash, then divide that in two (wash/rinse) and you'll know
the rough amount of water inside at a given time in the cycle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RimaNeas" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon =
240 pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

Absolutely... I just took 10% of 1 metric ton instead of the 11%.... then
again the washer can only take 3.7 cuft so it all works out. Not much of
a defense actually, since I had not even thought of the water weight
originally :-)

very confusing because at school were always taught that there were 10
pounds in a gallon of water at 62 degrees fahrenheit at 30" of mercury air
pressure
But, that was probably because we were taught in the imperial measurements
where we get more mileage out of our gallon than the yanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 6, 12:12*am, "George W Frost" wrote:
"RimaNeas" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to a
gallon = 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer = 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft = 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallon =
240 pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

Absolutely... *I just took 10% of 1 metric ton instead of the 11%.... then
again the washer can only take 3.7 cuft so it all works out. *Not much of
a defense actually, since I had not even thought of the water weight
originally :-)

very confusing because at school were always taught that there were 10
pounds in a gallon of water at 62 degrees fahrenheit at 30" of mercury air
pressure
But, that was probably because we were taught in the imperial measurements
where we get more mileage out of our gallon than the yanks

We wear ten gallon hats - a hundred pound hat would just be too heavy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RimaNeas" wrote in message
"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

******************

Shirley you jest sir,!
I have heard that a lot of Yankees are big headed
enough for a 100 pound hat

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...
Shirley you jest sir,!
I have heard that a lot of Yankees are big headed
enough for a 100 pound hat

===================
"Yankee"???

Isn't that when you can't wait for a "nooner" and you are alone?

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour writes:
On Jul 4, 6:10=A0pm, "RimaNeas" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Remember the ditty: "A pint's a pound the world around." Eight pints to=

gallon =3D 8 pounds.

Or, 4cf washer =3D 4 x 7.5 gallons/cu ft =3D 30 gallons x 8pounds/gallo=

n =3D 240
pounds

Don't forget the basket of dirty clothes sitting on TOP of the washer.

Absolutely... =A0I just took 10% of 1 metric ton instead of the 11%.... t=

hen
again the washer can only take 3.7 cuft so it all works out. =A0Not much =

of a
defense actually, since I had not even thought of the water weight
originally :-)

Ummm...the 3.7 CF is the overall volume of clothes, not the volume of
water. Read the specs on your machine - it'll tell you how much water
it uses per wash, then divide that in two (wash/rinse) and you'll know
the rough amount of water inside at a given time in the cycle.

Yes, my bosch front-loader doesn't have more than three gallons of water
present at any one time. All the water is held by the clothing, very
little is present in the drum. Certainly well below the level of the
door.

These aren't the old front-loaders where the water level was at the top
of the window on the door. You won't see the water level at all.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eric wrote:
"George W Frost" wrote in message
ond.com...
Shirley you jest sir,!
I have heard that a lot of Yankees are big headed
enough for a 100 pound hat

"Yankee"???

Isn't that when you can't wait for a "nooner" and you are alone?

Could be. In this case, however, I'm sure "yankee" is the second and third
syllable of the word whose use decorum discourages.