Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default 2 knob or 3? wiring?

On Jul 4, 2:23*pm, RBM wrote:
On 7/4/2011 2:11 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On 7/4/2011 12:45 PM, EXT wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
om...
On 7/4/2011 12:18 PM, bob haller wrote:
Are your outlets 3 prong?

If you have K&T wiring you might as well replace it now and get some
use out of your money.

Homeowners insurance companies refuse to provide new insurance
policies to K&T homes .........

K&T usually isnt grounded, has few outlets making for more extension
cords a big fire risk.

just call state farm and ask about a new policy with K&T you will get
turned down flat.

if a future home buyer cant get insurance they cant get a mortage
so no one will want to buy your home

well maybe a cash buyer at great discount... which isnt good for sales
price.

think of how many new cars and other things you buy in 70 years, to
get modern safe things.

well the electrical system in your home is no different. nothing lasts
forever

Again, another incident of this lie. Insurance companies don't know or
care about the wiring.

Maybe, but I just changed my insurance company and they asked a lot of
questions, because my house was originally constructed in 1970,
questions came up about aluminum wiring, I am sure if the house
pre-dated WW2, I would have had questions about K&T wiring. One cannot
make assumptions that apply to every company, but many are getting
particular on who they will insure, and probably will increase the price
if there are additional risks discovered.

also, I would add that I believe the aluminum wiring your company was
concerned about is many many times more of a concern than knob and tube..

I agree. Of my 1000+ customers, a number of them have some K&T in their
houses and businesses, and I can assure you that they ALL have
insurance. My local State Farm office has told me that the company
policy is to assess the condition of whatever type of wiring is in the
building. Aluminum single conductor wiring from the early 70's is known
to have caused fires, primarily in areas with high salt air, such as the
Jersey shore. Even that type of wiring is acceptable when properly
terminated.- Hide quoted text -

homeowners often have insurance with a single company fore however
long they own their home.

these rules only apply to new customers