Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
John Weiss[_4_] John Weiss[_4_] is offline

Default New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal?

Dan Musicant wrote:

:He tells me they have a program where I can go 1 year without
interest :if I start paying $450/month.
:
:What's the interest rate, and is that actually no interest for a
year, r you just don't pay the interest for a year and it
accumulates on the :balance of the loan?

Don't know. Absolutely don't know.

BEWARE! Some of these "deals" require you to pay ALL interest on the
loan if you do not pay it off in full before the end of the [one year]
initial term! Find out the interest rate AND the terms!

Further, ANY "deal" like that implies that a discount is available for
cash, since the company has to "buy" the loan. I got a 13% cash
discount on my last furnace; you should be able to find a home
improvement loan for less than that if you have reasonable credit...

:They say they'll install ducting (2"). What it actually says on the
form :he gave me is "Add new (if required) PVC 2" flue system up to
10ft." The :heating system is rated at 95.5% AFUE (efficiency). The
form says "Seal :ducting system to current Title 24 standards as
required by law." He :said this included pressure testing.
:
:Red flag; inconsistent comments. 2" ducting would be tiny.

Check. I was wondering that (the 2"). What's inconsistent there?
There's a lot that wasn't talked about, though. Lots of reasons to ask
questions. I want to know with any job what the total cost is going to
be before I sign. Also, who's paying for permits.

With the new high-efficiency furnaces, 2" PVC piping is used for
combustion air intake and exhaust. There is no more large galvanized
flue through the roof.