Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Lou[_2_] Lou[_2_] is offline

Default New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal?

That's at least double what I paid for a new furnace/central air combination
2-3 years ago in my 2700 square foot house.

Before you sign anything, check this outfit out with your county/state
consumer affairs department. Also shop around, that price sounds steep.

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
I get an unsolicited call around a month ago and it's a woman who says
they are with a program that might install a heater in my house
(Berkeley, CA). She didn't say that exactly, but that's where the
conversation went because that's what I need. The heater in my almost
2000 square foot two story 101 year old house was a floor heater that's
been disconnected and in the crawl space under the house, rusting since
I moved in here in 1983. I bought the house (was renting with others
before) in 2000.

I'm very low income right now and have qualified for a few assistance
programs but when contacted in the past I didn't qualify for help
putting in a heating system because mine wasn't connected and
functioning. I explained this to the woman but she seemed to think it
didn't matter. She makes an appointment for a guy to come over and check
out the house.

The appointment was yesterday and the guy was nice as hell, worked up a
plan in a matter of 1/2 hour - 45 minutes and I asked him if I could
have a few days to make up my mind. He'd said there was a time limit and
a limit on the number of rebates that would be issued, so he'd made it
sound like I better act fast (yes, a common tactic and I don't know how
for real this was). I asked him if he could call me Tuesday afternoon or
Wednesday (today's Sunday).

The old heating system sent up heat through a grate in the floor, AFAIK
being only a single one in the center of the downstairs in the living
room.

This guy asked me if there was any ducting or way to send ducts up to
the 2nd floor. If not, he said I'd either have to have just one heater
(heat gets to the 2nd floor by rising up the staircases, there being one
in front and one in back) or have 2 heaters, one in the crawl space and
the other in the attic. Without bothering to go up into the attic or
have a close look to see if ducting is possible from the crawl space to
the 2nd floor, he decides it's not feasible (he may be right in that,
but I'm not at all sure), he tells me if I want other than heat rising
up the stairwells I need that 2nd heater in the attic. He makes a cell
call to a guy in the office and asks about that and says they can get me
an even greater rebate on a 2nd heater. If I have just one heater it
will cost me around $7500, with 2 it will be $13,290 after 2 rebates
from my utility company, PGE (evidently about $150 each), a "voucher
amount" of $4000, federal tax credit of $400. He says they will provide
6 supply registers, 2 independent digital thermostats (one upstairs and
one downstairs). They will remove the old rusted heater in the crawl
space. They will have to widen one opening to the crawl space to get
equipment (i.e. the heater itself) into the space and remove the old
heater. Most of the accesses are surrounded by brick, but I think
there's one they can hack into with saws. Presumably they'll repair.
They say they'll install ducting (2"). What it actually says on the form
he gave me is "Add new (if required) PVC 2" flue system up to 10ft." The
heating system is rated at 95.5% AFUE (efficiency). The form says "Seal
ducting system to current Title 24 standards as required by law." He
said this included pressure testing.

He tells me they have a program where I can go 1 year without interest
if I start paying $450/month.

Does this seem like a good/great smart deal? Or should I shop around?
The company is California Energy Services, and their site is
californiaenergyservices.com.

This morning it occurred to me that I maybe should ask if it's possible
to close off some of the supply lines (registers, I think they're
called?). I live alone here and in a cold snap in the winter I might
want to just heat part of the house or even one room if possible. If I
keep the whole house warm or even half, it would use more gas than
necessary. Is that a reasonable idea?

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net