Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default 2 knob or 3? wiring?

"leza wang" wrote in message
my home is like 70 or even more years old (not sure really). I want
know if i should upgrad the wiring. the electrical panel shows i
have
100 amp. I have been told if i have knob 2 wiring then i should
change
it to 3 knob wiring. My question, how can I know if i have 2 knob
wireing or 3? in the main floor, i have all power outlet with 2
holes
(+,-) upstair I have power oullet with 3 holes (+,-, ground)
Thanks a lot.

If you are not having problems with fuses blowing, etc. then no urgent
need to do anything...

However note that modern wiring is *much* safer and will protect
people from being electrocuted. Especially small children.

Also there is a greater risk of fire with older wiring, especially
around ceiling and wall light fixtures where the insulation on the
wires might have crumbled inside the wall due to heat from the lights.
At a minimum I would have that upgraded to high temperature wiring and
have GFCI outlets installed in wet areas like bathroom, kitchen, and
outside outlets.

Also be sure you have working smoke detectors inside each bedroom and
in the hallways outside the bedrooms. (No matter what you do with the
wiring.)