Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On 06/29/2011 02:28 PM, Evan wrote:
On Jun 26, 9:06 am, Nate wrote:
On 06/25/2011 02:46 PM, bob wrote:

I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

I’m more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than
fire damage. Perhaps because I’ve never had a fire before and this is
the first time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

Typically the sprinkler risers are in the stairwells, with the floor
control valves on each landing. HOWEVER - if you are not a firefighter,
fire marshal, or sprinkler contractor, you probably don't want to touch
those valves, unless you like having legal problems. The valve controls
all the sprinkler for the whole floor, therefore if the fire is out in
your apartment but not in your neighbor's, and you cut the water off,
well, you get the idea.

I too share your concern on a visceral level about having all that
pressurized water in pipes above all my valuables, but honestly, the
sprinkler system is probably better maintained than the domestic water
supply. So long as you don't bust a sprinkler head (it happens,
especially with non-concealed types) you don't have a lot to worry about.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

@Nate:

What you are discussing in the stairwells is NOT the sprinkler riser
pipe but merely the fire hose standpipe riser which is an entirely
separate feed down the the fire pump room in the building (and in
some buildings the riser pipes are dry and require a fire pumper
truck to hook up at the external connection point after the engine
has established a water supply from a fire hydrant to feed water
into them) to allow the fire crews to obtain water to fight fires on
the upper levels without having to drag hoses in from the ground
floor...

Typical fire hose standpipe risers are 4" to 6" in size... The main
sprinkler piping in a building is generally 8" (small building) or
better with main supply pipes serving large sections of the building
being at least 12"...

~~ Evan

Around here generally the floor control valves and the hose valves are
tapped off the same pipe, or at least that's what I'm used to seeing.

nate