Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:46:01 -0400, Peter wrote:

[snip]

Four devices with digital clocks in my house regularly gain 10-20
seconds/week, even when there are no power outages: (1)2 year old DVR
(non-TIVO) connected to an antenna for input (no cable/satellite/FIOS)
that has only a 30 second memory in case of power failure (probably a
small capacitor), 3 year old microwave oven, (3) 10 year old
clock-radio, and (4) 15 year old VCR with a 1 hr. memory in case of
power failure. All 4 are on different circuit breakers. I've had our
power company check our line for noise, voltage, and/or frequency
abnormalities and they found none. 3 other digital clock radios,
varying in age from 1-15 years old, some on the same and some on
different house circuits keep essentially perfect time. I use timer
recording on the VCR and DVR regularly and if I don't reset their clocks
weekly, I can lose the end of programs I record unless I always add time
at the end. No one has ever proposed an explanation or a serious fix
for this situation.

Maybe you could leave one of those devices at a friend's house in
another city and see if it runs fast there too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"There's a sucker born-again every minute..."