Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On Jun 25, 2:46*pm, "bob" wrote:
If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

No. You cannot control the sprinklers. They are controlled at a
central location in the apartment building, on a floor-by-floor basis,
or a building-by-building basis, depending on the size of the
building.

You don't want some idiot turning off his sprinklers out of some
misguided notion that his electronic toys are worth more than human
lives.

I’m more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than fire
damage. Perhaps because I’ve never had a fire before and this is the first
time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

That's the risk you run. Make sure you have renter's insurance that
covers all your stuff. Keep important papers in a water-tight fire
safe. Keep backups of your important data off site.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

There are some devices designed to protect against basement flooding.
However, they may not work if it's just "raining." Also, even if your
computer is off, if it gets wet, you can forget about ever using it
again.