Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On Jun 25, 2:46*pm, "bob" wrote:
I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

Sprinkler heads go off one at a time. It's not like the movies where
a fire by one head makes the whole room rain. Only the heads that get
hot enough will start spraying. If that happens you'll be glad they
did.

They don't trip accidentaly. BUT! They are pretty delicate when it
comes to being bumped, and they dump an impressive amount of water
when they go off. So you do want to be VERY careful when near them.
I've seen people hang a clothes hanger on them with disastrous
results, or your kids could toss a frisbee, etc. You'll be liable for
the damage if you cause it.