Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Power Grid Freq Variations To Be Allowed

bob wrote:
Does it really take that much effort to synchronize the grid's
frequency?

To change the frequency they have to brake or accelerate the generator.
What I can't understand is which station is in charge of monitoring the
frequency and issuing commands to other power stations to speed up or
slow down?

Frequency variation is not a big deal. When you have a power outage, the
voltage and hence frequency go to zero in a haphazard way. So if line
frequency variation would cause chaos, power outage should cause many
times the chaos.

This is one of those cases where statistics mask the issue.
When the power goes out, it's obvious. I go around the house fixing all
the clocks
that are no longer accurate. Life returns to normal.

Not knowing whether the clock on the wall is correct is a much bigger
problem. How often do I have to get out the ladder to climb up and
reset the clock?

But we have been living with the ocassional power outage, I think the
minute line frequency variation is not going to do any worse than power
outage. In fact it probably won't affect anyone at all.

I'll bet there'll be lots of consequences.
The clock on my 40-year-old stove will be affected. And I ain't
replacing it...EVER.
I'll bet there are lots of legacy timepieces used in employee time clocks,
old buildings, etc.

The question is not, whether I'm able to find the correct time.
The question is, can I get accurate time from every time
indicator in view.

Knowing that most newer devices will not be affected is comforting
only to those who don't have legacy devices.