Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

"Ned Flanders" wrote in message
Nate Nagel wrote:
On 6/25/2011 1:46 PM, bob wrote:
I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

Im more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than
fire damage. Perhaps because Ive never had a fire before and this is
the first time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused
by
water when the device is powered.

It's not like in the movies and TV where you see all the sprinkler heads
start spraying water at the same time. It doesn't work like that if that
worries you. Only the sprinkler head tripped by flames releases water.
Many systems are dry, meaning there is no water, only compressed air in
the pipes which keeps the main water valve shut until a sprinkler head
is activated by fire. The wet pipe systems have to be drained to flush
them out on a regular basis to keep crud out of them, the dry systems
don't have that problem and the maintenance folks have to keep an eye on
the air pressure in the system which is usually remotely monitored
through the alarm system. If you are in a multi-floor apartment building
, each floor may have a maintenance closet where there is a valve for
your floor.

TDD

Dry systems are typically only used where ther eis a risk of freezing.
The vast majority of residential sprinklers are wet pipe.

nate

Dry systems are a bitch to maintain and they tend to rust faster than a
wet system due to the oxygen and moisture contained in the pipes. I used
to keep an eye on a system that had two risers and compressors. I can't
tell you how many times I had to scramble to trouble shot a compressor
before it tripped and charged the system. Rust, pin holes, bad
connections... dry systems tend to develop small leaks and the compressors
have to work harder and harder to keep up as the system gets older. If the
diaphragm trips unintentionally due to a drop in pressure there is always
a chance some of the heads may fail due to the hammer effect.

We have two freeze prone areas at work. They have a glycol system. The
pipes are filled with an anti-freeze solution and there is a reservoir tank
attached to it also in the last heated section. This was recommended by
both the sprinkler company and the insurance carrier.