Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

"Nate Nagel" wrote

I too share your concern on a visceral level about having all that
pressurized water in pipes above all my valuables, but honestly, the
sprinkler system is probably better maintained than the domestic water
supply. So long as you don't bust a sprinkler head (it happens,
especially with non-concealed types) you don't have a lot to worry about.

nate

The code in our state (maybe nation?) is that the sprinkler heads have to be
changed every 50 years.

They can go off accidently, but it is very rare. I've seen sprinkler pipes
banged by errant fork lift drivers and nothing happened. Except one time,
many years ago. To guys were done for the day and were racing back to the
charging station. They had the stand up type of lift and were playing
Chariot race, like Ben Hur. One went under a mezzanine with his fork partly
raised and he took out a 3/4" pipe. Lots of water in the storeroom that
night.

At our business, they put in a new system in parts that had no sprinkler and
changed out some 50 year old heads. Never had one go off. The system is
tested twice a year.