Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On Jun 25, 1:42*pm, Evan wrote:
On Jun 25, 3:40*pm, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:46:20 -0700, "bob" wrote:
I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

So leave them alone. **

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

No, No! *Speak to your local fire captain at the fire house.

I’m more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than fire
damage. Perhaps because I’ve never had a fire before and this is the first
time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

Get renter's insurance.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

Yes

**

Prisoner tampers with his "apartment" over-head sprinkler and sets it
off. *The smart thinking officer used linens and laundry to make a dam
at his door. *Cell, er "apartment" fills knee deep. Then he looked
like a oil field worker. Many years of dirty water in black pipe.

@Oren:

It is not that the water is dirty, as it is the same water that you
could
drink in most places... *It is that during the many years of sitting
in
the black pipe the manganese and other dissolved solids settle out
of solution...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

It also will tu rn stagnant, stsink like a sewer and turn black. We
discovered that the day I had a fire in the jail and spinklers
activated. One real mess to clean up. I suppose what happens to it
depends on the local water supply but turn stagnant it will.

Harry K