Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On Jun 25, 3:40*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:46:20 -0700, "bob" wrote:
I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

So leave them alone. **

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

No, No! *Speak to your local fire captain at the fire house.

I’m more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than fire
damage. Perhaps because I’ve never had a fire before and this is the first
time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

Get renter's insurance.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

Yes

**

Prisoner tampers with his "apartment" over-head sprinkler and sets it
off. *The smart thinking officer used linens and laundry to make a dam
at his door. *Cell, er "apartment" fills knee deep. Then he looked
like a oil field worker. Many years of dirty water in black pipe.

@Oren:

It is not that the water is dirty, as it is the same water that you
could
drink in most places... It is that during the many years of sitting
in
the black pipe the manganese and other dissolved solids settle out
of solution...

~~ Evan