Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

On Jun 25, 2:46*pm, "bob" wrote:
I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.

If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?

I’m more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than fire
damage. Perhaps because I’ve never had a fire before and this is the first
time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.

Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

@Bob:

The fire sprinkler system in your apartment is being inspected on an
annual basis by the local AHJ... So a "malfunction" is not very
likely
to occur... You do realize that each individual sprinkler head must
"activate" by having a bi-metal piece or glycerin syringe melt/pop in
order for water to flow from it... It is not a "deluge" type system
unless
it is very very very old or deployed in special situation like a
theatre
stage...

As to turning off the sprinkler system after a fire, the fire
department
will take care of that before they turn the building back over to the
owner during the overhaul...

Well, your new home is much safer than your previous domiciles as
you will not be burnt to death in a fire and have a much longer escape
window during a fire event in a sprinklered building than in one
without...

As to your question about water damage to electronics, that is what
happens when things get soaking wet -- this is many more times
likely to happen from a water leak from a tenant on a floor above you
than from sprinkler leaks or an actual fire... As someone else
stated,
get renter's insurance... There is already a device which will shut
off
power when water logged devices short circuit, it is called a circuit
breaker... However I wouldn't worry that much about it, as during a
serious fire event in a building the fire department generally shuts
off
the power to the building to make the fire fighting operations safer
and
remove electrical short circuiting as a source of ignition...

~~ Evan