Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Ping RCM structural engineers...

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:20:59 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jun 24, 10:09*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 04:18:22 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

The biggest hoist I've built weighs about 150# total, 4x 35#, and
lifts 6k#. And it takes an hour to set up.
jsw

Although it's not for a cargo container, how about posting pix
somewhere.
RWL

It's a larger version of this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...88505171720306
with a chain fall instead of the lever hoist.

A friend gave me the pipe tripod when he moved to the city. 6k# is an
untested estimate, I don't remember lifting over 3500.

Two of the pipes can be up as shear legs, to lift loads off the ground
and move them sideways onto a truck bed or my sawmill. I turned ball
joints for the base from a dumbbell. The socket is a glued stack of
plywood.

Here it is, cleaning up after a little accident:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...60810975036994

jsw

Thanks Jim. I remember you showing that photo once before after I saw
it. What length pipes are those and what is the wall thickness?

I did't understand this part of what you did:
I turned ball
joints for the base from a dumbbell. The socket is a glued stack of
plywood.

Any more photos of the ball joint you're talking about or the junction
of the pipes at the top?

RWL