Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nuclear Reactor Problems

Larry Jaques wrote:

Poor dear. You probably took "The China Syndrome" to heart, didn't
you? So sorry. Here's the data: More people die on our highways each
year than have died in all the years we've had nuclear power,
including the 3 largest accidents. As a percentage, the risk is very
small compared to almost every other type of accident in our lives. In
the nuclear industry, there has been a very low accident rate. Why the
unfounded fears, Mikey?

Nope - did not take China Syndrom to heart. I have watched as fail safes
failed to be safe in more than one nuclear accident though, and I am smart
enough to realize that the short 30 year history of this industry is no form
of reassurance. As things age, and stockpiles build up, we are only now
reaching points where some of the real concerns become real. Take a look
back at what I've written. I'm not anti-nuke, I've only spoken of the
potential for disaster if an accident does happen - and the evidence is
there to see it. It is much more catastrophic than competing technologies
available today, including fly ash floods. One cannot be lulled into
carelessnes just because the number of incidents is low. The impact from
each is much bigger than the impact from a slurry flow. The only other
point I've spoken on is the matter of waste. It does not matter what the
reasons are for waste stockpiles, they are there and they are not benign.
Much less benign than fly ash. It would be foolish not to recognize this.

I don't glow in the dark either, and I'm 11 miles from 3 of them.
Downwind. But - you're gone from them now, right? Were you as much
of an advocate, with no concerns, when you lived nearer to them?

Yes and yes. I had friends who worked there. One was a hot jumper. He
climbed into the vessel in a hot suit and connected the hook to pull
the rods and refuel the nukes. I believe his longest time down was 30
minutes, with 15 average. He sired a couple non-glowing kids, too.

You misunderstand my postion. I do not fear nukes and I do not expect to
glow in the dark.

What if the disposal site was determined to be 10 miles from you?

Sure, not a prob.

I'm not anti-nuke. I don't fear
nukes.

That's certainly not how your posts have been reading.

Might be worth re-reading them without that notion in your mind.

Read _Terrestrial Energy_ some time, Mike. Good book. Tucker did his
homework. http://goo.gl/gHzts

I think I might just do that.

--

-Mike-