Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wheel Barrow handle splinters

On 6/24/2011 4:59 PM, John Simpson wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb from a wooden
handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by mail. I'm
curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a store. They are
outdoors all summer. This is in NY state, USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape, sports tape,
the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray clear spray paint. Who has
this knowledge? Tried and true, please.

Wood-handled wheel barrows should not live outside, but you know that.
But if the handle is giving splinters, I'd eyeball the whole handle real
close to make sure it isn't about to split further south, and dump a
load of wood on somebody's foot. Is the store owner pushing this, or the
customers?

If it is one of the common designs, many rural hardware stores have
replacement handles. If your heart is set on keeping the existing
handles, I'd just find some rubber or plastic tubing of the right
diameter, and work it over the handgrips. What is the diameter of the
round part? If it is small, bike or motorcycle handgrips might work.

--
aem sends...