Posted to alt.home.repair
Baron[_3_] Baron[_3_] is offline

Default Wheel Barrow handle splinters

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Today at someone else house, I got a splinter in my thumb
from a wooden handle wheelbarrow. The woman there had got a
splinter, also.

I may be back in a few months, or I can contact them by
mail. I'm curious some ideas to make the handles safer.

The wheelbarrows are for moving fire wood, in front of a
store. They are outdoors all summer. This is in NY state,
USA.

I'm thinking coat of polyurethane, wrap in electrical tape,
sports tape, the wide stuff with the zigzag edges, spray
clear spray paint. Who has this knowledge? Tried and true,
please.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

To help prevent the splitting to begin with, you might suggest oiling
the handles with an outdoor oil each year. I used Watco once a year. I
also lightly sanded it in to help generate a smooth surface. I have had
very good success with the wooden handles on a tool I left outside all year
round. This worked for a long as I oiled the handles. The one year I
stopped doing so, it split after about 1 year 3 months.

Good Luck.