Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Ping RCM structural engineers...

On Jun 23, 2:24*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
I'm trying to design a lift system that can lift a loaded (up to 60k#)
ISO intermodal cargo container 4'+ vertically so that a container
chassis or regular flatbed trailer can be backed under it for
and unloaded. A further complication is that the lift unit should be
able to break down into components that are not more than about 150#
each, and be able to be assembled and disassembled by one person in a
reasonable amount of time, say 1hr. ...

* * * * Pete C.

For a quick practicality check I looked for 150# hydraulic cylinders
that can lift half the weight 48", IOW when you raise or lower them
individually:
http://www.baileynet.com/
You would need separate bracing to control lateral motion. I think the
column load rating assumes that the ends are free to pivot, so they
don't add a sideways bending load to the rod or the seal gland.

jsw