Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade Andy Wade is offline

Default is it legal for a UK 13A mains plug to _not_ have a fuse? dodgycamera battery charger?

On 23/06/2011 20:40, David Robinson wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone.

On Jun 23, 3:39 pm, Andy wrote:

I'm not sure what the applicable safety standard is for a camera battery
charger is, but if it's BS EN 950,

BS EN 60950 that should have said, but you knew that...

the max. allowable temperatures for external touchable surfaces,
not being handles, knobs or controls, etc. are 70 deg. for metal
and 95 deg. for rubber or plastic.

Nowhere near that hot!

Surprisingly hot, innit?

Min. allowed distance from the edge of the plug base to the L& N pins
is 9.5 mm (BS 1363-1:1995, figure 4a).

Not 2mm then?!

Gordon Bennett...

I'll drop them a line, but I bet they don't care.

Chargers do seem to have been recognised as a problem area:
http://www.esc.org.uk/industry/produ...ning/chargers/

--
Andy