Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is it legal for a UK 13A mains plug to _not_ have a fuse? dodgycamera battery charger?

I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Three things about it make me concerned.

Firstly, it gets hot. As in "almost wouldn't want a small child to
touch it" hot.

Secondly, it never said the battery was fully charged. It kept
charging (with the light red, rather than green), long after the
battery must have been fully charged.

Thirdly, the supplied cable has a standard IEC_60320 C7/C8 at one end,
but a UK mains plug without a fuse at the other end. The mains plug is
very small and almost clover leaf shaped - barely 5mm larger than the
pins in any direction.

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse when it feeds a flex? The
plug is marked 250V 10A.

Interestingly, the IEC_60320 C7 plug is optimistically marked 250V 25A
(I doubt it could handle 3A).

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, I have seen those plugs on IT equipment imported from the far east before.

Many far eastern countries use UK style 3-pin sockets for earthed appliances
but other 2-pin types for non-earthed, and in some cases some very dodgy
looking sockets that will accept 3-pin UK style, 2-pin euro style, 2-pin US
style and even 3-pin Australian style plugs in the same socket.

Many 3-pin UK style plugs supplied there will fit the socket but have no
plugtop fuse and do not have the normal large gaps between the pins and the
edge of the plug. Many also do not have partially screened N&L pins.

If they do not bear the CE logo they are illegal to supply in Europe.

If they are displaying the CE logo without being approved, then that is even
more dodgy.

Was your ebay supplier UK or overseas based? Because even if the shipment
came from overseas, if the supplier is in the UK they are (afaik) legally
bound to supply safe goods.

On 23/06/11 10:33, David Robinson wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 11:05*am, funkyoldcortina wrote:

If they do not bear the CE logo they are illegal to supply in Europe.

If they are displaying the CE logo without being approved, then that is even
more dodgy.

These days 'CE' might mean 'chinese export' rather than proper CE!

http://www.consted.com/doc/marcaturaCE.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2011 10:33, David Robinson wrote:

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse when it feeds a flex?

Doubt it - but needs must, on occasions!

The workshop attached to the place where I worked about 30 years ago was
wired with 15A round-pin sockets. Then they changed them to 13A flat pin
sockets - with the result that the arc welder kept blowing fuses.

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

And no less safe than the system it replaced.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 10:33*am, David Robinson
wrote:
I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Three things about it make me concerned.

Firstly, it gets hot. As in "almost wouldn't want a small child to
touch it" hot.

If its hot enough to cause pain when you keep your hand on it, its too
hot for safety or reliability.

Secondly, it never said the battery was fully charged. It kept
charging (with the light red, rather than green), long after the
battery must have been fully charged.

what battery chemistry are we talking? NiCds dont mind overcharging.

Thirdly, the supplied cable has a standard IEC_60320 C7/C8 at one end,
but a UK mains plug without a fuse at the other end.

not legal, and not entirely safe

The mains plug is
very small and almost clover leaf shaped - barely 5mm larger than the
pins in any direction.

hasnt been legal for decades

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse when it feeds a flex? The
plug is marked 250V 10A.

Interestingly, the IEC_60320 C7 plug is optimistically marked 250V 25A
(I doubt it could handle 3A).

Cheers,
David.

Could you give us a photo, or a few, if possible on a white
background, for use on the wiki? Thanks if you do,

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I heard a radio 4 prog recently that cited after-market ebay chargers
as a not-uncommon source of house fires.

Remember the function of the fuse in the plug is to protect the flex
against excess current.

Does the flex look like it can handle 30/32A from your ring main?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2011 10:33, David Robinson wrote:
I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Three things about it make me concerned.

Firstly, it gets hot. As in "almost wouldn't want a small child to
touch it" hot.

I'm not sure what the applicable safety standard is for a camera battery
charger is, but if it's BS EN 950, let's assume, the max. allowable
temperatures for external touchable surfaces, not being handles, knobs
or controls, etc. are 70 deg. for metal and 95 deg. for rubber or plastic.

[...]
Thirdly, the supplied cable has a standard IEC_60320 C7/C8 at one end,
but a UK mains plug without a fuse at the other end. The mains plug is
very small and almost clover leaf shaped - barely 5mm larger than the
pins in any direction.

Min. allowed distance from the edge of the plug base to the L & N pins
is 9.5 mm (BS 1363-1:1995, figure 4a).

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse when it feeds a flex? The
plug is marked 250V 10A.

Certainly not. Approval body (BSI, ASTA, etc. marks and the standard
no. (BS 1363(/A)) are also required for legality. Similarly the fuse
must be approved marked BS 1362.

Interestingly, the IEC_60320 C7 plug is optimistically marked 250V 25A
(I doubt it could handle 3A).

The rating is 2.5 A. clearly the decimal point is missing.

This all needs to be drawn to the attention of your local trading
standards dept.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Don't. Likewise the batteries themselves.

There seems to be no other market that is so prone to dangerous shoddy
goods being sold through eBay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 3:39*pm, Andy Wade wrote:

This all needs to be drawn to the attention of your local trading
standards dept.

I did that and was brushed off with a response that suggested I write
to David Cameron and get him to look at it, as he'd cut the budget for
trading standards so far that there were none of them left to turn the
lights off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the comments everyone.

On Jun 23, 3:39*pm, Andy Wade wrote:
On 23/06/2011 10:33, David Robinson wrote:

I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Three things about it make me concerned.

Firstly, it gets hot. As in "almost wouldn't want a small child to
touch it" hot.

I'm not sure what the applicable safety standard is for a camera battery
charger is, but if it's BS EN 950, let's assume, the max. allowable
temperatures for external touchable surfaces, not being handles, knobs
or controls, etc. are 70 deg. for metal and 95 deg. for rubber or plastic..

Nowhere near that hot!

[...]
Thirdly, the supplied cable has a standard IEC_60320 C7/C8 at one end,
but a UK mains plug without a fuse at the other end. The mains plug is
very small and almost clover leaf shaped - barely 5mm larger than the
pins in any direction.

Min. allowed distance from the edge of the plug base to the L & N pins
is 9.5 mm (BS 1363-1:1995, figure 4a).

Not 2mm then?!

The interesting thing is that this looks superficially like the last
one I bought from eBay. However, the last one didn't get too hot,
stopped charging automatically, had a proper UK plug with fuse, and
all markings were correct. Seems the Chinese are making cheap copies
of their own cheap products!

Looking at the website suggested, the CE logo I have on these = China
Export!

This all needs to be drawn to the attention of your local trading
standards dept.

I'll drop them a line, but I bet they don't care.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2011 11:16, airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:05 am, wrote:

If they do not bear the CE logo they are illegal to supply in Europe.

If they are displaying the CE logo without being approved, then that is even
more dodgy.

These days 'CE' might mean 'chinese export' rather than proper CE!

http://www.consted.com/doc/marcaturaCE.asp

No, no, no, it has always meant caveat emptor.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

David Robinson wrote:

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse

Could you give us a photo, or a few, if possible on a white
background, for use on the wiki? Thanks if you do,

I've got an example lurking around that I could snap and upload, what
size image is preferred for the wiki?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Three things about it make me concerned.

Firstly, it gets hot. As in "almost wouldn't want a small child to
touch it" hot.

If its hot enough to cause pain when you keep your hand on it, its too
hot for safety or reliability.

Secondly, it never said the battery was fully charged. It kept
charging (with the light red, rather than green), long after the
battery must have been fully charged.

what battery chemistry are we talking? NiCds dont mind overcharging.

Li-Ion

Thirdly, the supplied cable has a standard IEC_60320 C7/C8 at one end,
but a UK mains plug without a fuse at the other end.

not legal, and not entirely safe

The mains plug is
very small and almost clover leaf shaped - barely 5mm larger than the
pins in any direction.

hasnt been legal for decades

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse when it feeds a flex? The
plug is marked 250V 10A.

Interestingly, the IEC_60320 C7 plug is optimistically marked 250V 25A
(I doubt it could handle 3A).

Cheers,
David.

Could you give us a photo, or a few, if possible on a white
background, for use on the wiki? Thanks if you do,

Here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jf6r9wag728fx

In each photo, on the left is the last charger I bought from eBay,
which seemed OK, and on the right is the present, extremely dodgy one!

Though the chargers look the same, the new one is much lighter, and
feels like it would crack if you pressed the back too hard.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just bought a replacement camera battery charger from eBay.

Don't. Likewise the batteries themselves.

There seems to be no other market that is so prone to dangerous shoddy
goods being sold through eBay.

There must be some middle ground between £5 on eBay and £30 on Amazon!

Cheers,
David.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 3:39 pm, Andy wrote:

I'm not sure what the applicable safety standard is for a camera battery
charger is, but if it's BS EN 950,

BS EN 60950 that should have said, but you knew that...

the max. allowable temperatures for external touchable surfaces,
not being handles, knobs or controls, etc. are 70 deg. for metal
and 95 deg. for rubber or plastic.

Nowhere near that hot!

Surprisingly hot, innit?

Min. allowed distance from the edge of the plug base to the L& N pins
is 9.5 mm (BS 1363-1:1995, figure 4a).

Not 2mm then?!

Gordon Bennett...

I'll drop them a line, but I bet they don't care.

Chargers do seem to have been recognised as a problem area:
http://www.esc.org.uk/industry/produ...ning/chargers/

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 9:17*pm, David Robinson
wrote:

There seems to be no other market that is so prone to dangerous shoddy
goods being sold through eBay.

There must be some middle ground between £5 on eBay and £30 on Amazon!

My Fuji Finepix camera charger died, the eBay cheapie replacement
broke in half with exposed 240V wires (!) Then I managed to find a S/
H Fuji charger off eBay, which had the usual clinically insane eBay
seller involved in it (it wasn't a Fuji charger, it was a knock-off).

I ended up replacing the entire camera, as the cost of a new charger
was so insanely overpriced.
Panasonic Lumix TZ10 BTW, which is excellent and vastly better than
the Fuji.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

Cheers
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 8:43*am, The Night Tripper wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

* * Cheers
* * J^n

Making sure that you use a proper audiophile mains plug of course, a
mere 108 quid!:-

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/m...ains-plug.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 9:31*am, airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:43*am, The Night Tripper wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

* * Cheers
* * J^n

Making sure that you use a proper audiophile mains plug of course, a
mere 108 quid!:-

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/m...ains-plug.html

try again:-
http://tinyurl.com/67oymhk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

airsmoothed writes:

On Jun 23, 11:05Â*am, funkyoldcortina wrote:

If they do not bear the CE logo they are illegal to supply in Europe.

If they are displaying the CE logo without being approved, then that is even
more dodgy.

These days 'CE' might mean 'chinese export' rather than proper CE!

http://www.consted.com/doc/marcaturaCE.asp

Not really:
http://www.cemarking.net/chinese-export/

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:53:34 -0700 (PDT), airsmoothed
wrote:

On Jun 24, 9:31*am, airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:43*am, The Night Tripper wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

* * Cheers
* * J^n

Making sure that you use a proper audiophile mains plug of course, a
mere 108 quid!:-

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/m...ains-plug.html

try again:-
http://tinyurl.com/67oymhk

I can't see the point in making an investment like that only to plug
it into raw mains electricity coming through polluted copper cables. I
say rip out your house wiring and replace it all the way back to the
substation with gold plated oxygen free silver.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Jun 24, 9:31*am, airsmoothed wrote:

Making sure that you use a proper audiophile mains plug of course, a
mere 108 quid!:-

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/m...ains-plug.html

try again:-
http://tinyurl.com/67oymhk

I can't see the point in making an investment like that only to plug
it into raw mains electricity coming through polluted copper cables. I
say rip out your house wiring and replace it all the way back to the
substation with gold plated oxygen free silver.

Nah, you don't want other people's dirty electricity getting into your
circuits off those transformers. Only way is to install your own micro
generation facility.

A couple of pounds of *really* *pure* U235 should generate enough output
for the most powerul and sensitive of hifi systems ...

t'other Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

No need to do that anymore, Russ Andrews has come the rescue of the
totally deranged hifi consumer demanding 'better sound quality' at any
cost.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-1...eated-1019.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 9:53*am, airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 24, 9:31*am, airsmoothed wrote:

Making sure that you use a proper audiophile mains plug of course, a
mere 108 quid!:-

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/m...ains-plug.html

try again:-http://tinyurl.com/67oymhk

"made from Eutetic brass "

I'd be a lot more convinced of their veracity if they could actually
spell the word.

Thanks for that, the whole page is a delight to read - especially the
fuses.

What do these people ever listen to? Direct-cut acetates of Elf-song,
recorded live at Rivendell?

I've got a new microphone on my desk at the moment - large diameter
condenser vocal mic. Banged out by a factory in China (I was at Uni
with the Singaporean EE student who now runs the place) for just under
a hundred, UK RRP and a right good bargain. Especially when the same
mic goes out the other door at the same factory, in a different box
and with a different shock mount for £350
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Robinson
saying something like:

Thirdly, the supplied cable has a standard IEC_60320 C7/C8 at one end,
but a UK mains plug without a fuse at the other end. The mains plug is
very small and almost clover leaf shaped - barely 5mm larger than the
pins in any direction.

Yep, I bought a HK-made *but UK-supplied* light box a couple of years
ago with the identical plug on it.

Is it legal to have a UK plug without a fuse when it feeds a flex? The
plug is marked 250V 10A.

Quite illegal, afaik, and bloody dangerous, imo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Jun 24, 9:31 am, airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 24, 8:43 am, The Night Tripper wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it
into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

Cheers
J^n

Making sure that you use a proper audiophile mains plug of course, a
mere 108 quid!:-

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/m...ains-plug.html

try again:-
http://tinyurl.com/67oymhk

I can't see the point in making an investment like that only to plug
it into raw mains electricity coming through polluted copper cables. I
say rip out your house wiring and replace it all the way back to the
substation with gold plated oxygen free silver.

What's the point?
The transformers don't use OFC and they run hot and emit thermal noise (like
valves do).

What you need to invest in is micro generation so you can control what's in
the circuit.

£12k for some solar PV, £10k for a gas powered sterling engine, some
batteries, etc is all that's needed to make a nice power supply for your
HiFi system.
Opps sorry they are the trade prices, retail +1000%.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Night Tripper
saying something like:

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

Only if it was turned out of high-purity iternium and cossetted between
a maiden's thighs during transport, to preserve the vibration wunderfim
of the molescular matrix, thus ensuring the ultimate quound sality.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Other Mike" wrote in message
news
No need to do that anymore, Russ Andrews has come the rescue of the
totally deranged hifi consumer demanding 'better sound quality' at any
cost.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-1...eated-1019.htm

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...howBasket=true

Spot the loonies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 1:20*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"The Other Mike" wrote in messagenewssp807hge9lifn2p08dplfa7pnf4rrtivq@4ax .com...

No need to do that anymore, Russ Andrews has come the rescue of the
totally deranged hifi consumer demanding 'better sound quality' at any
cost.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-1...eated-1019.htm

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...UK&currency=GB...

Spot the loonies.

Would it even be legal to install that cable, doesn't it need to be
BS6004 or whatever?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, Andy Dingley scribeth thus
[...]

If the noise is low enough which it often isn't with those ones..

Especially when the same
mic goes out the other door at the same factory, in a different box
and with a different shock mount for £350

Name names then Andy if you will!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Night Tripper
saying something like:

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

Only if it was turned out of high-purity iternium and cossetted between
a maiden's thighs during transport, to preserve the vibration wunderfim
of the molescular matrix, thus ensuring the ultimate quound sality.

Does it come with the maiden attached ?

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Nick Leverton
saying something like:

Does it come with the maiden attached ?

At that price?
Certainly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2011 11:32, The Other Mike wrote:

No need to do that anymore, Russ Andrews has come the rescue of the
totally deranged hifi consumer demanding 'better sound quality' at any
cost.

http://www.russandrews.com/product-1...eated-1019.htm

Ignoring the price and the BS - what kind of hi-fi needs a 13A fuse?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-06-24, Nick Leverton wrote:

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember The Night Tripper
saying something like:

Solution? Turn up a solid brass 'fuse' in the lathe and insert it into
the 13A plug. No more blown fuses after that!

I've seen that done on Hifi equipment as well, for reasons of improved
sound quality (takes cover...)

Only if it was turned out of high-purity iternium and cossetted between
a maiden's thighs during transport, to preserve the vibration wunderfim
of the molescular matrix, thus ensuring the ultimate quound sality.

Does it come with the maiden attached ?

only for 10 guilders

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2011 09:53, airsmoothed wrote:

try again:-
http://tinyurl.com/67oymhk

Don't forget to stock up on a spare fuse or two - just in case you get
carried away and turn the volume up too high - a snip at 35 quid each...

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/f...old-fuses.html

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:53:11 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

Ignoring the price and the BS - what kind of hi-fi needs a 13A fuse?

It's only 3kW. With decent 5.1 system that is only 500W RMS per
channel input. The sub may well want more so even less for the other
5 channels...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley
saying something like:

There seems to be no other market that is so prone to dangerous shoddy
goods being sold through eBay.

Huh. My local hardware store stocks a range of ****-made lampholders
that fall apart with the heat of a 60W bulb. Guess where they're made.
Annoying thing is, they're a direct copy of a well-established UK make
and I thought I was buying something half-decent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:50:47 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley
saying something like:

There seems to be no other market that is so prone to dangerous shoddy
goods being sold through eBay.

Huh. My local hardware store stocks a range of ****-made lampholders
that fall apart with the heat of a 60W bulb. Guess where they're made.
Annoying thing is, they're a direct copy of a well-established UK make
and I thought I was buying something half-decent.

ISTR a discussion here a while ago re MK items. The ones sold by B&Q are
apparently manufactured to a lower spec..

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org