Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping Bill, in Indiana; Anyone near Waverly, Ohio?

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:24:24 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 04:22:07 -0400, wrote:

Thanks for the information Jim.

BTW, you were the person who "sold me" on the idea of building the DP
base board with four 4" casters and legs a few months ago. It got
finished this week and has a DP sitting on it. Building it taught me a
lot of lessons and gave me some practice with my router. Are the
casters likely to get a flat side if I let the DP rest on them for long?

If you chose wisely, they won't get flats. The softer the worse.

I enjoy that I can move it effortlessly with one hand.

How do you secure it once you get it situated, Bill?

Morgans gets most of the credit for giving me the idea. It has four 3
1/2" (3.75" long), 3/8" carriage bolts each of which screws into a
threaded insert in the bottom of the frame/base. These allow the bolts
to go 3" into the frame (twobafour). Since the bottom of the wheels
extend about 1 1/4" below the frame, if the screws are tightened enough
the unit stands on its wheels. If they are extended more than 1 1/4"
then the unit will rest on the carriage bolts. I know you get the idea
but I will post a picture after my wife "fixes" our camera.

Are the bolts long enough to double-nut and use a socket on an
electric drill to run up and down? It'll save you a lot of time and
hassle if you do it that way.

Well, looky there! They're selling mobile bases again.
http://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-...ase-95288.html
Instead of the knobs, double nuts would run those stop pad bolts down
in under a minute.

I haven't actually tried resting the unit the carriage bolts yet. I had
no difficulty testing the DP with the unit on wheels. The force of
gravity along with the friction of the concrete floor is enough to keep
the unit from moving. When I was finished I just moved it 6 feet off to
the side, with ease, swept up, and moved it back just as easy! I
under-estimated how much I would enjoy the ease of pushing it across the
garage floor! I am still respectful of the fact that it could easily
harm person or property if it fell over, so I don't want to suggest that
I push or pull it around in a lackadaisical manner. When it finds it's
place I will slide some wooden blocks underneath the frame for insurance
(although this may be redundant because if a leg/bolt gives, it will
fall to a wheel). Trust me that I'll try not to under-do it!

I believe we can trust you on that. titter

Along with the
baseboard I'm sure it is close to 300#. If it were to tip it is unlikely
that I could catch it so I'm glad I don't have to move the DP with a dolly!

I think you meant to say "hand truck", dincha? What you built was a
dolly.

Type "appliance dolly" into a search engine and see what comes up!
I'm sure you are correct. BTW, I like to think I built a "mobile base"!
I forgot to try riding it down the driveway.

I think that might have been fun, but the traffic would be hell,
seein' as you didn't provide a hand brake on the thing.

And while we're at it, one stands -on- a podium and -at/behind- a
lectern./pet peeves

Didn't know that either! Gosh!

It amazes me that 99% of people don't seem to know that difference or
the one between dolly and hand truck.

I'm on Day 2 of assembling the BS now. Day 1 involved assembling it's
Delta mobile base, unpacking, cleaning and reading the directions. The
BS assembly work for Day 2 is about to commence. I'm going to go check
out the current price of the TS being auctioned that Sonny referred me
to.. What is your summer project?

DECLUTTERING the house and shop. I'm knee deep in paperwork and
packratted items, so anything after that is gravy. sigh

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck