Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Bad crane rigging example - video

"Ignoramus6708" wrote in message
Great post Steve.

TY. I have seen a lot of heavy stuff go into the Gulf of Mexico to at least
be a qualified witness. I once saw an operator lose a Hydril, and 40' of
boom off the crane from picking up the Hydril off a boat, and not being
boomed up enough. He picked up the load, the boat got the hell out of the
way, he was coming up on it, the crane's diesel engine coughed at the load,
and gravity prevailed. The Hydril, the boom, and all the line went in the
drink. Lucky the cab was not torn loose.

If you want to define forlorn, just see a crane operator sitting in his cab
with no boom on his crane................... priceless.

This is a Hydril:

http://hydrilpressurecontrol.com/pre...ol/BOP/BOP.php

The picture tells the story. Compare this weight to that of a fiberglass
swimming pool................ Ten feet in diameter of solid steel. And
there's some you can't see. But even a lowly fiberglass swimming pool
prevailed when the laws of physics and leverage were applied.

Steve