Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Kenmore 417 front loader washer: There should be class actionsuit on this machine!

On 06/18/11 07:31 am, biguggy wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...io-228602-.htm
biguggy wrote:

Why is anyone surprised that bearings fail in these machines?

snip

This a rather old thread to which you are responding, but I'll throw in
my 2 cents' worth.

We've had ours for about 9 years, averaging two or three loads a week,
and it's been noisy for the last several years. When it was still in
warranty the controller failed and was replaced free, and I asked the
service guy about the reports I had heard of bearing failure. He said it
was usually caused by using non-HE detergent and that replacement of the
whole drum assembly was a 2-person 4-hour job -- no bearings available
separately -- costing big bucks. I have since read that bearings are
available but not from Sears. If ours quits I may still try to fix it
myself, as we have the dryer stacked above it and that dryer might not
fit a different washer.

My major gripe concerning this washer was that when it was delivered
they took the shipping braces away with them although the user manual
says to keep them in case the machine needs to be moved again -- and
when we did move I had to *buy* a new set of shipping braces. I
mentioned this to our friendly Sears person in our new location, and she
said not leaving them behind was common practice and that I probably was
the only person who had ever read the part in the manual about keeping them.

Perce