Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Bad crane rigging example - video

On Jun 16, 5:38?pm, Ignoramus30422 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-06-16, James Waldby wrote:

Not so dire, but I just learned not to side load the boom on a shop
crane . The bending moment transferred to the jack base and the outer
reservoir tube pulled loose on one side and leaked.

I had my "shop crane" almost flip over when it was sdieways on an
inclined surface. I was barely able to muscle it back to a more stable
position.

They lack much side stability, and frequently people make the mistake of
having a swinging load. What you need to do is keep a couple lengths of
2x4 to rest across the shop crane legs and lower the load onto to
prevent it from swinging to the side on a slope. You can also use a
cargo strap or two to stabilize the load on a shop crane.