Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trammed the mil yesterday

Rex fired this volley in news:89e0363a-9604-4e99-
:

On Jun 15, 11:36*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I fiddled with my Large Super Max till it was --O--O-- *(that's an
arrow through two balls, or "dead nuts", an official engineering term)
and then drilled and installed a taper pin to keep it there.

I like that idea. Is there any reason one could not install a big
taper pin, with a ring on the outer end so you could pull it if you
really needed to swivel the head? Then return it to tram by aligning
the pin and tapping it snug.

If it were that easy to get it true to tenths over (say) a foot, then the
mill makers would have already done that. It's about the same as trying
to replace the gap block in a lathe. Yeah, there are taper pins, but
they only get it close.

It would make it easier to get it _close_, but the final work will still
be to tweak it that last two or three tenths -- by hand.

LLoyd