Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Hold the handle now, used to be jiggle the handle

On 2011-06-14, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

wouldn't, of course, so I wound up tying it around the arm.... I'm so
used to holding down on the handle I never thought to just try flushing
it after installing it.

The difference between cheapo flappers and good one's. Good ones have
an air space on the underside of the flapper. When flushed, the air
space causes the flapper to float upward until the water in the tank
is completely gone and the flapper again drops down and seals shut.
Not exactly rocket science.

nb

No. not rocket science, but physical science. The flapper is designed so
that the water flowing out of the tank pushes the flapper up until there
is no more water to hold it up. The air is always in the cone at the
bottom of the flapper. How does it stay down when the tank is not
flushed?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY