Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Oscillating tools - loud and not that great?

" wrote in
:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:32:34 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
m:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:44:54 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Scholtes
wrote:

Maybe it's the tool I bought, but whenever I use my new oscillating
tool I'm just not impressed with it.

Cutting wood takes too long. Cutting metal (cuting nails) takes much
too long versus a Dremel. And it's LOUD.

I bought a Menards-brand Li-Ion cordless model. Is there THAT much
of a difference versus the others? I can't find a review that
implies cheap oscillating tools are necessarily worse than, say,
Rockwells.

I know that cheap power tools aren't as good as expensive power
tools. But when I buy Harbor Freight I get about 80% of the
effectiveness and ease-of-use.

I bought a HF multi-tool when I did some remodeling last year.
Basically to cut the door stops near the floor so I could fit
thresholds. Worked fine.

Yes, excellent.

Also worked well for some sanding in tight spots.

Never tried for that.

It's not loud at all.

Working inside, I disagree.

Anticipate using it for cleaning out tile grout and some more
sanding.

I've used it for grout but found it very slow. Especially on very old
grout. Crappy HF blades I assume. What literally rips through grout,
and I mean like a few feet per minute, is a Rotozip with a diamond
blade.

...and makes a total mess of the tile in the meantime. The bits don't
last long, either.

Bits? You talking about a rotary tool? I was addressing the HF-MF tool
that uses blades.

I went through a couple dozen (they're $10 each at
the BORG) doing the surround in my last house.

Otherwise it won't earn back what I paid for it.
It's not for cutting nails or cutting wood except in small amounts.

True. But I have. Having the Original HF-MT, it's only single speed
and burns up blades (blue tip). I did learn to keep a small container
of water and dip it as needed.

You're using the wrong tool.

--Vic

I'm a long time HF- multi tool proponent. My comments to yours are
above.