Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Oak Molding

On 6/13/11 10:23 AM, wrote:

The molding is not for a baseboard; it sits along the top edge of a
granite backsplash.

If the piece of trim is nice ans straight, it may be easier to just glue
it in pace. Since that is a "wet area," you could use caulk or any other
silicone adhesive.
There's new new genre of adhesives that are supposed to have very high
initial tack and hold tight when material is pressed against it. If you
try one of these products, you may get away with no nails at all, or
maybe only a couple.

I located one stud so I measured over 16" to find the next stud. I
discovered that the studs are NOT 16" O.C: The distances of the studs
are 24", 13" and 21", etc so I did a lot of "test" holes to find the
studs.

This is not uncommon if there is a window involved. Studs go 16" or 24"
apart, until there is a doorway or window, then you have jack studs and
kind studs shortening up that distance. Not all stud finders are the
same. Find one that has a "deep scan" option and you'll get better results.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--