Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak Molding

How can I attach 25 feet of quarter-round oak molding to drywall?

What kind of nails should I use?
How long should the nails be?

Do I pre-drill the oak molding?

(I do not have a nail-gun).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:14:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

How can I attach 25 feet of quarter-round oak molding to drywall?

Vewwy, vewwy cawefuwwy.

What kind of nails should I use?
How long should the nails be?

Metal, about "yea" long.

Do I pre-drill the oak molding?

Not unless you're overstocked with PREs. Just drill them.

Now the real answers:

(I do not have a nail-gun).

Get one for $30 at HF. (usually $20 or less on sale, but not today)
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gaug...ler-97524.html

Use 1-9/16" brads. http://goo.gl/YGnxU (darn, not on sale today,
either. This is unusual.)

At the base of the wall, there is a 2x4 behind the drywall, so you can
put nails in anywhere up to about an inch and a half over the
subfloor. If you've installed a floating floor, you still have about
an inch. Angle nailing works, too, so aim down a bit.

If you use hammer and nails, go with 1-1/2" finish nails. Drill for
them or they will split the oak. The last box I bought was by GripRite
and they're the flimsiest crap I've ever put a hammer to. Spend an
extra buck and get good nails. Ask the hardware store manager for
that.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

[...]

=====================

Hold on one second!

We got prob. 3/4" trim, 1/2" drywall, 1-1/2"nails and a downward angle and
we are worried about studs behind the wall? What for?

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"m II" wrote in message ...

[...]

Appears to be a simple arithmetic error.

I would use 2-1/2 inch nails and never a cheap nailer on oak. Only use a
headless pin nailer for that, unless you prefer the look of patched oak for
trim. But then a person that had actually done some of this work before
would know that. Seems to becoming painfully apparent there are many sock
puppets here.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/2011 8:34 AM, Eric wrote:
"m II" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have done my share of base board and shoe moldings, did this for a
builder 10 or years ago. I used a finish nail gun but it was all
painted trim.

You mention a pin nailer for oak, is there a pin nail long enough to go
through the shoe molding, sheet rock and then the 2x?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/12/11 9:15 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/12/2011 8:34 AM, Eric wrote:
"m II" wrote in message ...

[...]

This is what I love about this group. The guys says, "I do not have a
nail-gun," and no one can take that at face value. Nobody can assume
that the guy obviously knows about nail guns, which is blatantly obvious
from his statement, but for whatever reason, isn't using one and wants
to know the best NON nail gun technique.

No, everyone has to get in a ****ing match over exactly what the guy
*didn't* ask about just to hear themselves talk.
"Look at me, I'm talking... over here people, it's me!"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 6/12/2011 8:34 AM, Eric wrote:
"m II" wrote in message ...

[...]

=======================

Painted trim? Yeah use a headed nail when possible. Brads, finishing nails,
I have even used staples for door stop, depending who is doing the painting.

Finished oak, use a pin nail available up to 2.5" (hmmmm...maybe 2.25") in
23 Ga.?? (would have to look at the boxes)
Don't ask me how they even penetrate oak but they do.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Georgè Watson" wrote in message
b.com...

-MIKE- wrote:

No, everyone has to get in a ****ing match over exactly what the guy
*didn't* ask about just to hear themselves talk.
"Look at me, I'm talking... over here people, it's me!"

When you got the same person commenting
themselves these little newsgroup nuances
are always going to rise... well, for the
suckers, that is.
george

======

How about sticking to woodworking topics (that you know nothing about)and
participating or being a good troll and taking all your trolling sock
puppets
- Lee Michaels
- Leon
- Lobby Dosser
- George Watson
- Robatoy
- several Mikes used here
- Larry Jaques
- Doug and Bill
and go away and leave woodworking people alone? You have been busted and
your BS is old.

Now **** off, be a nice little idiot and go back to your embroidery pattern
theft as digiKit, kit, hopper, Tazoar, Pixie and the **over four hundred**
names you have used on that group.

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

The molding is not for a baseboard; it sits along the top edge of a
granite backsplash.

I located one stud so I measured over 16" to find the next stud. I
discovered that the studs are NOT 16" O.C: The distances of the studs
are 24", 13" and 21", etc so I did a lot of "test" holes to find the
studs.

Considering that nothing else in my condo is "standard" size, this
didn't surprise me but it was very frustrating.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

[...]

That helps a lot. I would glue or silicone it in place.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

This is what I love about this group. The guys says, "I do not have a
nail-gun," and no one can take that at face value. Nobody can assume
that the guy obviously knows about nail guns, which is blatantly obvious
from his statement, but for whatever reason, isn't using one and wants
to know the best NON nail gun technique.

That's the way it works around here. Want a good discussion about the
advantages of hand cut dovetails? Just ask how to set up a dovetail jig.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/11 11:25 AM, CW wrote:
wrote in message

This is what I love about this group. The guys says, "I do not have a
nail-gun," and no one can take that at face value. Nobody can assume
that the guy obviously knows about nail guns, which is blatantly obvious
from his statement, but for whatever reason, isn't using one and wants
to know the best NON nail gun technique.

That's the way it works around here. Want a good discussion about the
advantages of hand cut dovetails? Just ask how to set up a dovetail jig.

brilliant.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
This is what I love about this group. The guys says, "I do not have a
nail-gun," and no one can take that at face value. Nobody can assume
that the guy obviously knows about nail guns, which is blatantly obvious
from his statement, but for whatever reason, isn't using one and wants
to know the best NON nail gun technique.

That's the way it works around here. Want a good discussion about the
advantages of hand cut dovetails? Just ask how to set up a dovetail jig.

==============

Yup we just did it again bringing it up with a troll post!

Duh!

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/13/11 1:52 PM, Josepi wrote:
I have never found that to work for me. It always just stops the nail
penetrating at all and it bends over.

Nails have sharp tips on them for a reason....drill if hard wood or dry
wood.

----------------------
"willshak" wrote in message
news When using finish nail in molding, I blunt the sharp end of the nail
beforehand. This allows the nail to 'punch' a path in the wood rather
than 'squeezing' into the wood and possibly splitting the wood.

I don't know what you're doing wrong (other than top posting), but I've
blunted the ends of nails to keep the wood from splitting, I would
guess, hundreds of times and it works great. It's a tried-and-true
technique that probably goes all the way back to the invention of the
modern nail. Cut nails were blunt and sheared the wood fiber when
driven. That was probably an accidental benefit of the process of making
them and not by design.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

It doesn't take long, here, to figure out that so many of these troll types
are the same person.

The woodworkers do not care about posting formats, readers or rabble rousing
against others.

Most have just killfiltered the ones on your list and the group gets a lot
more productive. They all say the same thing back and forth anyway, except
for George Watson. He can't ever get a response so he constantly changes his
nickname hoping for a pat on the back from somebody that isn't himself.

--------------

"m II" wrote in message ...
How about sticking to woodworking topics (that you know nothing about)and
participating or being a good troll and taking all your trolling sock
puppets
- Lee Michaels
- Leon
- Lobby Dosser
- George Watson
- Robatoy
- several Mikes used here
- Larry Jaques
- Doug and Bill
and go away and leave woodworking people alone? You have been busted and
your BS is old.

Now **** off, be a nice little idiot and go back to your embroidery pattern
theft as digiKit, kit, hopper, Tazoar, Pixie and the **over four hundred**
names you have used on that group.

mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's another sock puppet to add to your list. Every time you expose them
he spawns another new name.

"Jim in Milwaukee" wrote in message
m...

Oak Molding -MIKE- Woodworking 0 June 12th 11 02:22 AM
Using door and window molding as floor base molding Mikepier Home Repair 8 March 15th 11 06:08 AM
molding? HotRod Woodworking 0 January 31st 07 04:09 PM
crown molding??? EvoDawg Home Repair 3 June 5th 05 07:24 AM
Molding Charles Bishop Home Repair 7 September 14th 04 11:36 PM