Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default diy aeriel for wireless router

In article , Derek G.
scribeth thus
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:26:40 +0100, "Tim W"
wrote:

Am I right in thinking I can leave the insulation on a length of copper wire
and use that? Will the length I cut it at make a difference? I mean
obviously it will be longer, maybe 30" instead of 3" but does it have to be
a multiple of a wavelength or something? I am guessing the aerial can be
thin - a coat hanger not necessary here

?? Thin implies sharply tuned. It's unlikely to be anything like
right.

Diameter of the radiating elements has a function on bandwidth..

For a Yagi type beam think in terms of elements at least the diameter
of a pencil. Microbore copper tubing would spring to mind.

Useful stuff..

I do possess a comercially made beam. If anybody wants the dimensions
email me.

Derek G.

- but is solid copper better than
strands?

Not in this instance at those frequencies .. conduction is on the
surface of the metal, look up "skin effect"...

Tim W

--
Tony Sayer