Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default diy aeriel for wireless router

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
Tim W wrote:

an aerial is just a length of metal I think

Sometimes with embedded voodo, the ones embedded within laptop screens
especially so.

Am I right in thinking I can leave the insulation on a length of copper wire
and use that? Will the length I cut it at make a difference? I mean
obviously it will be longer, maybe 30" instead of 3" but does it have to be
a multiple of a wavelength or something?

Usually 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength, but that'll be what you already have

http://www.fpvuk.org/forum/index.php?topic=1391.0

I am guessing the aerial can be
thin - a coat hanger not necessary here - but is solid copper better than
strands?

What's the velocity factor of a coathanger?

If you want to make existing access point more directional, you could
try this

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/

You'd be better off getting another Access point and relaying the one
you have. Unless you want to improve the range of this existing system
in -One- direction i.e. focusing the power you have rather than
broadcasting it then any additional aerial you add onto the existing
ones isn't likely to make it any better..

BTW .. Aeriel is spelt Aerial ;!...
--
Tony Sayer