Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_3_] Tim W[_3_] is offline

Default diy aeriel for wireless router

Family complaining about poor internet wireless reception around the castle.
A quick search and I see the first thing to try before boosters and
repeaters is simply a bigger aerial on the router (currently 3" long) at a
cost of around £20. Being a tight wad I thought I might test a home made
aerial first - an aerial is just a length of metal I think - and am
considering how to do it.

Am I right in thinking I can leave the insulation on a length of copper wire
and use that? Will the length I cut it at make a difference? I mean
obviously it will be longer, maybe 30" instead of 3" but does it have to be
a multiple of a wavelength or something? I am guessing the aerial can be
thin - a coat hanger not necessary here - but is solid copper better than
strands?

Tim W