Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Naptha? for use as degreaser

Pete C. wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd be thinking kerosene, instead of gasoline. Kero
evaporates more slowly, and much less flammable. Sorry you
aren't finding naptha as camp stove fuel. I'd be tempted to
buy a gallon of camp stove fuel and try it out, as
degreaser. Might be just relabelled.

Purple degreaser can be found at HVAC / R supply houses,
under brand names like Alkli Foam, or Nu Brite. Hydroxide
and some soap. Usual precautions, gloves, safety goggles,
etc. If it gets on skin, it turns oil to soap, makes the
skin slippery. A splash of diluted vinegar makes your skin
feel normal again.

I get the Zep brand purple degreaser in 5 gal pails at 'Depot. Actually,
the last time I needed some specialty Zep product it seems 'Depot
couldn't get it and I ended up buying it direct from Zep and picking it
up at a Zep facility not too far away to save shipping costs.

Prompted by this, I tried 'Zep green':
http://www.amazon.com/Zep-32Oz-Clean.../dp/B003K1ZWG8

It works nearly as well as naptha!

I'm still going to check out the others but this is a very
cool discovery.

Thanks!

--Winston