Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Naptha?

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 18:01:48 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:33:43 -0700,
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

anorton wrote:

wrote in message
'Varnish Makers and Painter's' naptha is the only way
I've found for removing baked-on grease from metal surfaces:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...er-618030.aspx

It's disappeared from the shelves at all the hardware stores in
my area. Some now carry a 'substitute' product in gallon cans,
but I don't want to spend over 20 bucks and then have to drive
it to Hazmat Disposal if it works as well as do most
'substitutes'.

What's a practical alternative? Gasoline?

Thanks!

--Winston

Lighter fluid is (or at least used to be) mainly naptha. Gasoline has
longer chain molecules than naptha, but you could try it.

Camp stove / lantern fuel might be a viable substitute that would be
better than highway gasoline.

I agree. It's unobtainium here in SF Bay Area.

Oh, I forgot. You live in -no VOC- city, don't you?

In a couple minutes of Googling, I didn't see citation of any law
regarding VOCs in my area. Wierd.

My couple minutes gave me this: http://goo.gl/7Pj6b
and this: http://www.arb.ca.gov/maps/maps.htm

My smog license expired in '83, so I've forgotten most of what I knew.
Also, CA is a different entity today than it was back then.

When I had my smog license in CA, the NOX standards were a lower
number than was obtainable from ambient air on the coast with an
offshore breeze on a GOOD day. Inland, the shrubs doubled that, even
without any vehicular traffic.

Don't you love the CARB and CAL-EPA?

I really like how the air has 'cleaned up' since the '70s, when
it got so bad at times that my eyes would swell shut.

I was amazed at how little brown haze remained over HelL.A. when I
worked there a decade ago with a buddy. We'd drive up over the hill
into Orange County and see only a bit of brown. When my parents and I
flew out to Glendale in the 60s, it was DARK brown.

I'll bet over half of that would have been gone anyway, without CA
extra strict regs, just from replacing older, worn-out cars.

Now we get only occasional stenches from the release of
I.C. processing gasses. It's much better, overall.

I guess I shouldn't moan too loudly.

Oh Well!

--Winston

--
Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.
-- Mark Twain