Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Naptha?

Wild_Bill wrote:
Dunno what your term *grease* means.. but if you're referring to a
cooking area or pans with vegetable oil and/or meat fat spatter that's
formed a plastic-like build-up

Yup. That's the stuff.

, then a couple of things will work fairly
effortlessly.

Automotive solvents or household ammonia will break the film loose.
Naptha may also be available in a solvent used as an autobody
refinishing prep cleaner known as "wax and grease remover" from an
automotive refinishing supplier.

Not here, any more. Sigh.

Carb cleaners may still contain the xylene or toluene solvents that will
effectively dissolve cooking residues.

Either of the automotive solvents will work more easily if used in the
way described for ammonia. Extreme caution should be exercised for the
solvents' use, to prevent ignition.

Household ammonia will lift off the residue if the ammonia is kept wet
on the cooking residue, which can be accomplished by wetting paper
towels and applying them to the surface (or pan edges to the paper
towels) then covering the area with plastic to keep the area wet. Then
just let the ammonia work for an extended time.

I think I may have heard of brake fluid being used the same way, but
that might have been for some other compound.. silicone caulking, maybe.

Cool!

Thanks!

--Winston