Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Naptha? for use as degreaser

I'd be thinking kerosene, instead of gasoline. Kero
evaporates more slowly, and much less flammable. Sorry you
aren't finding naptha as camp stove fuel. I'd be tempted to
buy a gallon of camp stove fuel and try it out, as
degreaser. Might be just relabelled.

Purple degreaser can be found at HVAC / R supply houses,
under brand names like Alkli Foam, or Nu Brite. Hydroxide
and some soap. Usual precautions, gloves, safety goggles,
etc. If it gets on skin, it turns oil to soap, makes the
skin slippery. A splash of diluted vinegar makes your skin
feel normal again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:

(....)

I've used the purple degreaser to remove years of grease
buildup from a
Hobart mixer, and buildup on baking sheets and waffle
irons. The purple
stuff is lye based and will dissolve bodies if the need
arises.

That is the best recommendation I've ever seen!

OK, Purple cleaner and Oven cleaner are next to try.

Thanks!

--Winston