Mike G

Default Base cabinets and low wall to support granite countertops

Granite weighs 168 # a cubic foot. I'm not about to do the math but I would
guess that some bracing or internal framing would be required

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Arman" wrote in message
om...
HI,

We are getting a 1 1/4" granite countertop installed, and I have a
feeling we are going to have to reinforce our base cabinets. The
construction is thus: 1/2" particle board sides and back and 3/4"
solid Oak face- probably the cheapest possible builder supplied
cabinets? The oak face looks like it has only been tacked to the rest
of the cabinets with brads. I dont think they have been attached to
each other real tight, I couldnt see the screws, unless they are
hidden or something. Will such cabinets support the granite? What do I
need to fo to reinforce them? I have a 8' straight run, a 2'-4"x
3'-10" "L" and a 6' long island.

My next question is, we plan to raise the bar area a few inches off
the island surface and were planing to support the granite with a 2x4
wall. Do I need to pin this wall to the cabinets supporting the
island? Also, when I attach the wall to the floor boards, do I use
nails or screws, and how many at each point? This wall is also L
shaped, will it be self supporting? What Can I do to prevent it from
toppling over, like someone had asked earlier? THe granite over hang
will be supported by brackets.

We are already way over budget with the granite and would like to
reinforce the cabinets and build the support wall ourselves. I had
taken a carpentry class with the carpenters union in Pittsburgh, so I
am fairly confident I can do this.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

-Arati.