Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Naptha?

Ed Huntress wrote:

FWIW, as a purple cleaner, oven cleaner, and gasoline user, I'd try them in
that order, unless you don't mind the gasoline fumes, in which case that
would be second.

I mix my own oven cleaner for cleaning my charcoal grill but it's a bugger
to get straight lye these days. The only over-the-counter retail source I've
seen identified by others is Roebic Crystal Drain Cleaner, which I buy from
Lowe's at $11.00 for two poundsouch!! It's now $1.98 for two pounds
online, under different names, but then I pay $10 shipping. d8-(

I do buy 20 pounds or so at a time online once in a while. You want 100%
sodium hydroxide crystals or pellets; mix 20% with water by weight; dump in
some diatomaceous earth to make it stick a little to the grill. You can use
potassium hydroxide but it's more expensive.

Mix 40% for cleaning drains, and stand back...At 40%, it's like thin syrup.

Copied to disk and printed.

Thanks again Ed!

--Winston